cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Looking for Discounted Gear

Hi Community!

I'm hunting for lightweight gear for my Colorado Trail hike and it all is much more expensive than I anticipated. I wonder if anybody knows of where I could look for discounted, good quality gear? Or is anyone selling themselves? I'm specifically looking for the Magma 15 women's sleeping bag and flash carbon trekking poles. Thank you for your suggestions and connections!

0 Likes
5 Replies

@sarabass there is a used Magma 15 on the used site right now (30% off): https://www.rei.com/used/p/rei-co-op-magma-15-sleeping-bag-womens/148331?color=Asphalt&aqi=088249fbe...

PDB
he/him/his

REI has used gear sales, a garage sale now and then and you can also check geartrade.com.  You may also find items in Craigs list and Facebook.  Remember if you go the used route to validate the quality of the item and that it still has some hiking life left in it.  Good luck.  

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.

Another resource I like to browse is the sub-Reddit r/ULgeartrade: https://www.reddit.com/r/ULgeartrade/. I've bought and sold gear here and it's a solid community. 

0 Likes

I would recommend skipping the expensive, high end trekking poles.  Rummage around and find an old mop handle or  similar,  rig up some sort of lanyard, and you have saved a bunch of money, t no loss of utility.  You will hardly notice the added weeight, the pole is swinging from your hand.

The one benefit for collapsible trekking poles is that they can be shortened to be easily stowed in luggage or your pack.  Of course, their purchase does prevent unused cash from cluttering up your premises.

0 Likes

If you do go the route of stick vice trek pole, make sure it will work with your tent if needed.

0 Likes