cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Looking for daypack options and advice!

Hi All! I need a new daypack and want a 20-30L that's reservoir-compatible, has a few extra pockets for snack-holding/easy organization, and can fit underneath the seat in front of me on an airplane with a little smushing. I'm currently torn between the Osprey Daylite Plus and the REI Trail 25 Pack and would love to hear from anyone who has used either - tell me what you love and what annoys about the pack! And of course if you have a pack you love with similar specs that I'm overlooking, I'd love to hear about it too. Thanks in advance! 

0 Likes
10 Replies

The REI Traverse 32 is worth a look. I have the previous 35 version and even though REI removed some of the better features to reduce the weight it still appears to be a good large daypack that has good compression options. The suspension system was also redesigned so my recommemdation only goes as far as "take a look."

We have use Trail 40s for travel carry on and they are good for that. Personally I don't think the design is as good as the Traverse for hiking.

0 Likes

I also have a Traverse 35 and I am happy with it - lots of good organizational possibilities.  But it is definitely not the only one available.

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.
0 Likes

Thank you! I love extra pockets for organization! 

0 Likes

Thank you! I’ll try it on once I get to an REI store - I’m liking the hipbelt pockets on the Traverse! 

0 Likes

I just bought the Gregory Zulu 30 last Fall as my new day pack and I couldn't be happier. Lots of pockets to keep me organized, compatible with water bladders up to 3L, and has an included rain cover. Oddly enough, the one thing I enjoy most about it is the one thing I didn't really care about when I got it - the glasses tie down on the left shoulder strap. I can safely carry my sunglasses when  I don't need them and they're within easy reach when I do.

Carries the weight very well and the floating mesh panel keeps my back ventilated in the Summer.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Between every two pine trees there is a door leading to a new way of life.” (John Muir)

0 Likes

Thanks, I'll add that to my growing list of packs to check out! As a light-eyed person I always have sunglasses and could see myself loving that tie-down feature you mention when it gets overcast! 

0 Likes

Hi @KelleyBeth A little late to the party, but I'm in total agreement with @OldGuyot & @hikermor  regarding the Traverse series.  I have a 35 which I love.  I also have an Osprey Stratos 28 which is very comparable, but slightly heavier duty, which, of course, makes it heavier.  Both carry very well.  The only drawback I could see from either for your purposes is that both have a suspended mesh back panel, similar to the Zulu mentioned by @Dad_Aint_Hip .  That makes for a better carry, plus the ventilation for your back, but severely limits (negates) its compressibility for underseat storage on a plane.  

Good luck!

That's three suggestions that I look at the Traverse, so I'll definitely check it out! Thank you! 

0 Likes

I've been real happy with my REI Trail 25.  So versatile that I can use it in many different environments, not just on a trail doing dayhikes.  I've used it travelling, going to the kids sports games, and on the plane.