cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Looking for a water bottle holder for my shoulder strap

After the excellent results that I got when looking for a trail thermometer, I've decided to test my luck and get some suggestions on water bottle holders.  Currently,  I have a 'thing' that I bought at Academy years ago that's basically a very thick o-ring on a piece of webbing with a carabiner on it.  I hook the carabiner to the loop on my shoulder strap and then the o-ring goes around the lip of my bottle.  I carry 2 x 1L SmartWater bottles and keep one in my pack and one in my little o-ring thing.  It works ok, but a) it moves around a LOT (and, on hot days, it's sweaty and there's friction and, well, it's unpleasant) and b) it bounces (one time, I ended up chasing it on the rocks at the base of Amicalola with a 30LB pack trying to keep it and me from going for a swim in the pond).  Anyway, I want something else.  I've see a lot of Youtubers that have a mesh sleeve that attaches (top and bottom, it looks like) to the shoulder strap that looks perfect.  I've tried to find them and found one at Zpacks (with a 1 to 2 week lead time, and you pay $25US + shipping) and one on Etsy (Justin's original) that's sold out.  I've found a few on Amazon, but they look like heavy "tacticool" type devices rather than backpacking.  Anyway, anybody got the inside scoop on a lightweight, affordable water bottle holder that'll hold a 1L SmartWater (or similar) bottle on the shoulder strap of a backpacking backpack?

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.
0 Likes
11 Replies

This is what I use;

https://www.amazon.com/Rothco-Lightweight-MOLLE-Bottle-Carrier/dp/B013CRHMDU/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&key...

I have two of them.  

I use one on my hydration pack, attached with 3/4" velcro strips (two strips).  The bottle I use with it is a 20oz stainless steel bottle.

I use the second one as a handle for my 25oz Stanley Master Thremos (which doesn't have its own handle).

Chicken Tramper:  https://chickentrampergear.com/collections/accessory-items/products/water-bottle-sleeve

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.
0 Likes