cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Looking for a water bottle holder for my shoulder strap

After the excellent results that I got when looking for a trail thermometer, I've decided to test my luck and get some suggestions on water bottle holders.  Currently,  I have a 'thing' that I bought at Academy years ago that's basically a very thick o-ring on a piece of webbing with a carabiner on it.  I hook the carabiner to the loop on my shoulder strap and then the o-ring goes around the lip of my bottle.  I carry 2 x 1L SmartWater bottles and keep one in my pack and one in my little o-ring thing.  It works ok, but a) it moves around a LOT (and, on hot days, it's sweaty and there's friction and, well, it's unpleasant) and b) it bounces (one time, I ended up chasing it on the rocks at the base of Amicalola with a 30LB pack trying to keep it and me from going for a swim in the pond).  Anyway, I want something else.  I've see a lot of Youtubers that have a mesh sleeve that attaches (top and bottom, it looks like) to the shoulder strap that looks perfect.  I've tried to find them and found one at Zpacks (with a 1 to 2 week lead time, and you pay $25US + shipping) and one on Etsy (Justin's original) that's sold out.  I've found a few on Amazon, but they look like heavy "tacticool" type devices rather than backpacking.  Anyway, anybody got the inside scoop on a lightweight, affordable water bottle holder that'll hold a 1L SmartWater (or similar) bottle on the shoulder strap of a backpacking backpack?

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.
0 Likes
6 Replies

A couple of things from Zpacks.  I have not used either of these...

https://zpacks.com/products/aquaclip-kit

https://zpacks.com/products/water-bottle-sleeve

I do use their multipack.

I didn't see anything from REI .  There may be similar things from other cottage type manufacturers.

I use AquaClips that I purchase from the inventor. I love them. I just hook the clip over my chest strap.

0 Likes

There are also these...although I'm dubious

https://www.amazon.com/customerpicks/Explore-water-bottle-holders-for-backpacks/4983c9b0a0509c31743e

and/or you can use some bungee, knots and spring clips.

That's actually similar to what I have now.  They *work*, but they have some downsides (chaffing and chasing).

0 Likes

I do have one of the tacti-cool bottle holders for my gym bag/pack and it's surprisingly light. I haven't thought about transferring it to my backpack but it should be pretty easy since it has the vertical MOLLE webbing.

I may give it a try later today to see if it works. If it does, I'll post a picture of it here for you.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Between every two pine trees there is a door leading to a new way of life.” (John Muir)

@nathanu - I just took a look and it's not going to work for me.

First, the bottle holder is 3.45 ounces. Not bad and it's certainly light enough but the particular holder I bought has the two vertical MOLLE straps attached to it. There's no easy way to attach the holder to the backpack shoulder straps using the MOLLE webbing. I'd happily cut the webbing off (and probably cut the weight in half) but there's still no easy way to attach it.

I could use a carabiner but then it would be swaying around and that's exactly what I don't want.

I may have a buddy do a 3D print of a clip that can hold a Smart water bottle by the neck.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Between every two pine trees there is a door leading to a new way of life.” (John Muir)