cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Looking for a backpacking thermometer

Would love to be able to record actual temps when camping, specifically overnight.  Would lovr to find something that would record temps every n minutes that perhaps syncs with my phone so that I can save it.  Anyone else doing this?  Any thoughts, suggestions, etc.?

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.
13 Replies

@nathanu   I’ve been using the brunton adc pro for years and love it.  I’m pretty ocd about keeping track of temps because I need to know how my equipment holds up, plus when I’m freezing at breakfast I want to make sure everyone knows how cold it is! lol

806BCC90-70D5-484E-B9D5-20C2A73C8A6B.png

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes

@Philreedshikes thank you, that looks like exactly what I'm looking for!!

I have not tried it but there is this...

https://www.govee.com/products/107/smart-thermohygrometer

I think I might get one since it is inexpensive and seems quite fun.

If you want something more professional  there is kestrel and in particular the kestrel-drop

https://kestrelmeters.com/products/kestrel-drop

if you are looking for something cheap then https://www.acurite.com/  make a range of min max weather thermometers.   I've had this one for a while...No connectivity so no logging beyond the last 24hr min and max but the price is nice.

https://www.acurite.com/shop-all/weather-instruments/thermometers-and-hygrometers/digital-window-the...

You can take the sucker off and hang it some other way.  It records the min and max every 24 hrs starting from when you plug in the battery.  Only thing I don't like is the way the battery plugs in the bottom making it only rain proof.

There are also a number of light weight fridge thermometers that do min max but usually you have to manually reset the min max with those.  They do not auto reset every 24 hrs.  That is one of the problem with the nicely form factored ThermoDrop Zipper Pull thermometer which I was initially excited by.   It is also too sensitive and changes temperature almost immediately you start handling it so I don't recommend it.  I think they just based it on their food thermometers and did not understand what is wanted from a weather thermometer.

0 Likes

wow, that govee is only $15 on amazon!  if you're using you're phone on a hike, this is a pretty economical option

0 Likes

Ok, I had already ordered the Brunton and it's scheduled to arrive on Wednesday.  The Govee though looks very nice and, since I'll have my phone with me anyway (and it's lighter and it's smaller, etc.), I just pulled the trigger on that order also.  I've got an overnight planned in a couple of weeks and expect temps to dip down below freezing (at 800 feet, they're predicting 39F and I'll be around 2,00 feet).  I'll plan on taking both and reporting back.

@nathanuexcellent!  one of the things I like about the brunton is, I hang it from my shoulder strap and can just look down at it for the temp, or scroll thru for the weather forecast which is super helpful

selfie w bruton.jpgselfie 2 w bruton.jpgIMG_0532.jpg

Here ya go as an option:

https://www.rei.com/product/669627/coghlans-four-function-whistle

0 Likes

Ok,so I (obviously) haven't had it on the trail yet but, first impressions, the Groove thing looks pretty sweet.  Small, stupid simple and easy to attach to my pack. My only concerns right now are a) how weatherproof is it, b) how durable is it and c) how long will the battery last.  The back pops off to replace the battery so, its possible for water to get in and it could just pop off on trail.  Its cheap enough though, so, yeah.

0 Likes

@nathanu Got my Govee thing yesterday. It is definitely not waterproof based on the sensor hole in the front and the lack of gasket on the battery door. But the door fits well so it is probably weather resistant to a degree.  And it ties on to the hanging hole so if it pops off at least you won't lose it.

Only thing I don't like about it is that the Govee app insists on having access to my Android phone's Location service which seems to me unnecessary.   Poking around it seems to be a limitation/bug/feature of Android and Bluetooth scanning which apparently requires "Location" permissions.

More later