cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Let's See Your DIY Gear

REI may be our favorite place to stock up on the latest outdoor gear, but making and using your own DIY gear is a rewarding experience too! A few years back I picked up the cheapest sewing machine I could find and started designing and sewing my own gear for backpacking, climbing, and cycling. Fastforward a few years, and I'm still using my budget sewing machine and have made top quilts, tarps, cycling panniers, and more! 

Let's see some other DIY backpacking gear! Anything from fully designed and built at home gear to those simple hacks that make your favorite gear even better. Share a few pictures and briefly describe what it is and why you did it! 

One of my most used pieces of gear is a down topquilt that I made at home. It's served me well in everything from winter weather to summer weather and in tents, vehicles, and hammocks. It's made from ultralight 1oz nylon ripstop, has 3 inch baffles, and uses 800 fill power down that was salvaged from a nice pillow. I made it because I wanted to reduce the weight of my sleeping gear and wanted to dive into making my own gear for fun. 

IMG_2301.JPG

Now it's your turn! Let's see some of your DIY gear!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
0 Replies