cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Leave No Trace principles on taking a pebble from a stream/river?

Is it ever ok to take a pebble from a stream as a souvenir? (Asking for a friend)

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes
0 Likes
3 Replies

It depends on the jurisdiction.  In National Parks, it is literally, take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints (and in some locations, even those are verboten).  In National Forests, the rules are somewhat less restrictive, but technically, for most collecting, you ought to have some sort of a permit.  Most state park systems have curbs on collecting.

Of course, there are jillions of pebbles in every stream bed, and you can well ask, what difference does one less make?  Actually if there is high visitation, intermittent, occasional collection can make a huge difference.

I once excavated a major Pueblo ruin in canyon de Chelly NM which when we first started, showed absolutely no potsherds (broken pottery fragments) on the surface.  By the end of our digging, we had collected thousands of fragments and they were important in our analysis.  I got so I could assess the frequency of visits at any site by the abundance of pot sherds showing on the surface.  Visitors mad made a considerable impact on the information available from the sites within the canyon.

Yes, pebbles are pretty ubiquitous and if you are in a truly remote area with minor visitation, picking up a pebble probably won't make a difference.  But just taking a picture is a safer bet.

Just send me the ones that are clear and that scratch window glass readily.  I will take good care of them for you.

Can you tell that I am an old NPS hand?

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.

leave no trace is exactly that.  Try no to impact the environment so the next person can enjoy it as well.  Since millions hike the trail, if everyone took one, you just redirected the river...

0 Likes

Ah, but you are leaving a trace!  You are compacting the soil (and maybe crushing plants). By the time millions will have followed, the rivr will be redirected.

This is actually observable, on a slightly different scale, in some locations in the Arizona dessert, where vehicle tracks are now streambeds.....LNT is highly admirable, but hard to do.

0 Likes