cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Jetboil vs MSR PocketRocket?

So I am a fan of ultra-light and compact backpacking for multiday excursions. I have used the MSR PocketRocket for a pretty long time now. It used to fit inside some lightweight aluminum pots I had, then I switch to the Sea to Summit X-pot and kettle which the cups and bowls nest inside of.

I've always wondered about the Jetboil systems, but they are HUGE in comparison to the gear I normally carry. I know they are super fast and more efficient with fuel, but is the extra space really worth it for a few minutes of cook time and a few grams of fuel? The equipment I have already worked incredibly fast as it is, I'm not even sure I would want it to cook or boil any faster.

I do want to try the system, but I really feel I would never carry it anywhere. Just looking for some insight and personal options/experiences with the Jetboil systems.

-Cyrus
0 Likes
23 Replies

Hello @CyrusBlades 

I am a firm believer in the PocketRocket because I think it is fuel efficient, extra-light, and very small, yet can boil water in a very short span.  The PocketRocket is also very versatile as it can cook a wide span of foods and drinks.

-Kyle

Kyle M | https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtrM2UkJKMvKv3qyR9WFv7w
Have a Great Day, and make your best adventure yet.

I am currently considering the Jetboil myself.  Last year my brother-in-law and I did 70 mile section hike on the AT.  I had Snowpeak Lite Max and he had a Jetboil.  We both had 110g fuel canister.  My Lite Max worked great with no problems.  But what I saw was that at the beginning of the 6th day I ran out of fuel and he had plenty left!  The reason is that it took me longer to heat up water for coffee and food.  I would be waiting for my water to start boiling and he would already be cooking.  He even used his to heat up water for mashed potato lunch a couple times where I did not use mine at all.  So it showed me that there was a big difference in the efficiency and fuel savings with the Jetboil.   Lucky we were finishing up that day so not a big deal that I ran out of fuel but would have had to figure out a resupply or start bumming off his Jetboil.  

So that is my experience with the Jetboil.  I am also a ultra light hiker so the size of the Jetboil had me concerned but I think I will buy one and take it on next section hike to decide which one to use going forward.

Happy Hiking!

Blazeman

Blazeman

Hey @knescue thanks. This information is very useful! I'm very interested to see the difference in boil time between a Jetboil and PocketRocket with my current setup. I might just have to purchase one for fun.

-Cyrus
0 Likes

@knescue so you've actually inspired me with this, I went looking at the various jetboil systems and I'm going to pick up the Ceramic FluxRing Cooking Pot and give it a try with my pocketrocket deluxe. I'll do a 1L test of boil times with the jetboil and the seatosummit x-pots I have. 

-Cyrus

I'm a JetBoil user and find that any extra weight is minimal in consideration of the speed which water boils at the end of a long hike. After a few days on the trail, I'm too hungry days end and waiting to eat not good! Works in all weather conditions. I like to hike as light as possible but a few things in the pack are important enough to warrant a touch more of weight.

Hey @DragonDad, thanks for the info!

I wasn't so much worried about weight. I've actually picked a few of them up at REI and I was surprised how light they actually are. Might even be lighter than my current system. My real concern here was the space. All the systems I've seen have a hard body cup/bowl/mug construction that is, in my own opinion, fairly large.

-Cyrus
0 Likes

If I can toss another option into the mix, I am a BRS user but am finding it a bit slow to boil water for food AND my coffee. As @DragonDad points out, the additional weight is minimal so I am actually going to replace it with the Soto Windmaster. What I like about the Soto stove is how close it is to the pot so that it acts as a bit of a wind shield.

https://www.rei.com/product/177954/soto-windmaster-stove-with-4flex-pot-support 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Between every two pine trees there is a door leading to a new way of life.” (John Muir)

@Dad_Aint_Hip Thanks for that! I've never seen this stove before. 

-Cyrus

The new jetboil looks dope. I don't have anything really to contribute beyond that. I just wanted to be a part of this historic day. Welcome to conversations, yall.