cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Re: It's Time to Think… About Ink

This thread may not appeal to everyone but I would love to see your outdoor-themed ink.

It's about time to start planning my next tattoo and I'm always looking for inspiration. All my current pieces are martial-arts related but I want to add a hiking/backpacking piece.

So, whatcha got? 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Between every two pine trees there is a door leading to a new way of life.” (John Muir)
8 Replies

190C5B66-2958-4597-9838-664E4E80B215.jpeg

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes

That’s a great piece, @Philreedshikes 

“Between every two pine trees there is a door leading to a new way of life.” (John Muir)

Agreed! I really like your piece @Philreedshikes. I'm now singing 'Edelweiss' while working...

@Dad_Aint_Hip: I don't have any tattoos, yet. But when I do get one most of my ideas are outdoor related. I'd like to get a simple compass tattoo with only the 'N' labeled as a tribute to my time spent in Alaska. I'd also like to get a topo map of Mt. Rainier, however, I'd need to look into that possibility as it seems quite complicated. I've also seen tattoo renditions of 'long trails', not exactly a map, per se, but more like an artistic rendition of a map. That seems pretty interesting but I would think I'd need to actually complete one of those long trails before getting that done.

What are you thinking about getting?

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.

Not sure how I missed your reply, @REI-JohnJ 

I really am at a loss at this point what it will - or could - be. I moved from Vancouver, BC to Chicago about 23 years ago and not a day has gone by where I haven't thought about my beautiful city and the area. So I know the piece will pay some form of homage to the PNW. 

But, beyond that, still working it out. All of my pieces so far required a lot of time and thought before getting them so this is just the process. 🙂

I love this one...but it would have to be in a green tint 🙂

Gary2_0-1610104792261.jpeg

That's gorgeous, @Gary2 

@Gary2oh man! that is sweet!  I've been looking for ideas so this is great. That looks like a B&W photo.

this is a joke - I think a 'tree tunnel' would be more apropos for the AT, lol

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes

@Dad_Aint_Hip got this one in 2017 after my first solo ascent of a peak in Bolivia. The mountains are based off a photo I took of the peak and the surrounding mountains, and we added some condors to represent the Andes. The numbers are the height of the mountain in meters, and yes, the fading/"missing parts" on the tattoo are on purpose. 🙂

Bryn_Tattoo_2017.jpg

www.brynsharpphotography.com