cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Is the inside diameter of Toaks 750 Pot big enough for an 8oz fuel canister?

The specs for the Toaks 750 pot show a diameter of 3.75". Is that the interior or exterior measurement? I know the titanium is pretty thin so it's not a huge deal but I just want to make sure that the typical 8 oz fuel canister will fit inside.

Thanks!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Between every two pine trees there is a door leading to a new way of life.” (John Muir)
0 Likes
8 Replies

I have a 650ml Toaks.. the inside diameter is almost exactly 3.75 inches.   It is designed for the "100g"  fuel canisters which are typically ~ 3.5inches at the widest point ...the bottom seam

that said there is a good argument for not storing the canister in the pot since you usually put the canister on the ground where it will pick up dirt and why would you put a dirty thing in the pot that you eat out of? 

It does make a more compact functional package though.

750ml always strikes me as an odd size.  It's bigger than you need to just boil water for most purposes and really too small to cook a noodle dinner in for which most sources say a 1L pot is preferred.

@Dad_Aint_Hip  Great question!

@OldGuyot hit the nail on the head with this one: it looks like the diameter of the Toaks pots are big enough for the 100g fuel canister. We've had a couple of other conversations in the community, MSR PocktRocket Deluxe and the Toaks 750 ml pot and Looking for a small stove recommendations, that both confirm this is the case. The 8oz can of MSR IsoPro Fuel (227g) is listed as 4.5" in diameter so it will not fit in the Toaks pot. *edited*

Hopefully this helps, thanks!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.

@REI-JohnJ  btw  8oz/227g MSR and similar canisters are ~4.25 inches across and will not fit inside a Toaks D95mm series pots like the 750ml.  I have an 8oz MSR canister here and measured it so you might want to check your source on the 3.7" diameter because it's wrong.  Actually they are 3.7" high so that is probably the source of the confusion.

An 8oz canister should fit inside a Toaks D115mm series since that's 4.5inches across

@OldGuyot 

You're totally right! Thanks for checking me on that. I looked at the dimensions on the REI product page and assumed 3.7" was the diameter, not the height. Good catch! @Dad_Aint_Hip please note that you'll be able to get the smaller, 3.9 oz (110g) MSR IsoPro canisters in your Toaks pot, not the 8 oz one you were asking about. I have edited my response to make sure it is correct.

Thanks!

All good, @REI-JohnJ , thanks! And I probably was thinking of the wrong canister when I thought 8 oz. Those are big ones.

“Between every two pine trees there is a door leading to a new way of life.” (John Muir)
0 Likes

@REI-JohnJ  and @OldGuyot  - thanks so much, appreciate the fast and really helpful answers.

BTW, it never occurred to me about the dirt on the bottom of the canister and the inside of my pot. My mind just went directly to "how compact can I make my cook kit?". That's a great insight and I'll have to think about how I want to handle it. I was thinking about getting a canister stand to make the whole rig a little more stable and that would help but not necessarily resolve the dirt issue.

I would really prefer to carry my beloved 12" cast iron skillet but, at a weight of just over 8 lbs...  I am not an ultralight hiker/backpacker but nor am I stupid LOL

Thanks again - one more reason this forum quickly became my go-to for assistance and advice

0 Likes

Yeah unless you are taking your oxen and chuck wagon along too, a cast iron skillet is not really on the cards I feel.

@Dad_Aint_Hip 

8 pounds is pretty light if that's the only thing in your pack!