cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Re: Insulation Values and Weights of Long Underwear

I was thinking of upgrading my long underwear (uppers and lowers) to something lighter but still very warm. I am 63 so have switched over to ultra light backpacking more or less. I usually take them backpacking in the high sierra more as an extra safety measure in case I get caught in some cold weather near the end of summer when it might dip down to below freezing. My current long underwear is old REI brand, 92% Polyestra and 8% Lycra. The uppers weight 9.5 oz and lowers 8.4 oz. I went to look at silk underwear, as I understand they are very light and very warm, on the website but it does not provide for weights. Can you provide some data on the various types in regards to insulation value and weights. I am a medium. 

Thank you, 

Dave

0 Likes
14 Replies

I'm right behind you LOL... i'd recommend moving to merino wool products.  They are WARM and help keep the smell down (Somewhat) 🙂  R/Gary

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.

Merino is your best bet. They stay warm even when wet (Trust me on THAT!), and you can pick your layer's weight (150, 200, etc) for different times of the year. The Lanolin in the wool keeps the scent down and is naturally anti bacterial (Don't trust me on THAT! I am not a scientist...), and they are really light. 

Also, if you are getting in to UL, you should check out Ultralight Jerk on Facebook for some ultra light humor. 

Not sure on the weights, but if you have a local REI, I'm sure they would let you bring a scale and weight stuff (Or just buy it, weigh it, and return it......shhhhhhhhh). 

Interested to hear what you find with the weights. What other kind of gear are you running?

- I'm the best at being me when I'm outside

Did you receive this reply. If you did I will send you a full reply.

0 Likes

Hi @DWemmer - Thanks for reaching out with another response. Your reply is here. Let us know if you have any questions about posting and we will be happy to help.

Otherwise, we look forward to seeing your next post. Thanks!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes

@Bonfire - For the last two years for my week long high sierra trip (7 nights and 8 days) I have been able to keep my pack at 39# and that includes 1 1/2# of fishing gear, a liter of my favorite adult beverage and a REI Flexlite camp chair. My other gear...

Backpack - Osprey Exos 58 - saved liked 4# over my very old (and luved) REI external frame pack.

Sleeping Bag - Lumens 20  - saved like a 1 1/2 pounds over my REI 10 degree down bag although I take this bag on late season trips when temps are expected down to near freezing or below. 

Sleeping Pad - REI Flash -  saved about a # or more over old Thermarest. 

Stove - Snow Peak with canisters. 

Pots - MSR stainless steel pot set (2) with lid. We like to rehydrate our freeze dried food in a pot to be sure it all rehydrates. We repackage our freeze dried food into ziplock bags to save space. Also nice to reheat to hot just before serving. Also we have a couple of meals we bring that we need the pots to cook. 

Cup - REI insulated plastic cup with lid. Gotta have a lid to keep coffee or tea hot for longer. What I would like to find is a 3 cup - cup/bowl that is super insulated and light with a lid and is around 4" in diameter.

0 Likes

Oh nice! That sounds pretty luxury to me! How many miles do you normally do a day?

0 Likes

For my annual buddy High Sierra week long trip we usually keep it to around 35 miles max total and with two layover days. We are a bit on the older side (63 years old) and have definitely crested the mountain and are on our way down the backside. So we try for about 6 miles a day on average on hiking days. That usually gets us to our destination around lunch or early afternoon which gives us time to fish or explore. On our layover days we usually cross country up to some upper lakes or ridge or mountain for views. 

What would you recommend to further reduce my weight?

0 Likes

That sounds absolutely incredible. To fish on a backpacking trip, to me, sounds like heaven. I assume you could easily drop some weight with your bag, tent, or sleeping set up, and def with leaving the chair at home, but you are going to sacrifice comfort. Do you do any shorter trips in the meantime? If you go a little more bare bones, I'd at least try the new set up on a shorter trip. No use ruining a perfectly good longer trip just to save some ounces. 

0 Likes

What do you recommend for pack, 20 degree bag, tent and pad? 

What is your cooking and eating set up?

Chair is definitely a big luxury but at 63 years old it is awesome!

0 Likes