cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Hyperhidrosis ,backpacking, and blisters ( oh my)

Hi all,

I am reaching out to the REI community because I am in need of finding a solution to my sweaty feet causing blisters while hiking.

I’ve tired the top ‘solutions’ my google search suggested like: find a proper fitting boot, use sweat wicking or wool socks (I’ve tried many brands with no success), and use mole skin (which I sweat right off). 

At this point I am frustrated with getting blisters and any suggestions would be appreciated!

“Buddha, Jesus, and Reese Witherspoon all went to the desert to seek wisdom.”
― Florence Williams
0 Likes
4 Replies

What I wear is a pair of Injini toe sock liners *and* a pair of Darn Tough socks. The combo works well for my sweaty feet

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Between every two pine trees there is a door leading to a new way of life.” (John Muir)

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.

Thank you! I think I’ll try the toe liners and see if they help.

“Buddha, Jesus, and Reese Witherspoon all went to the desert to seek wisdom.”
― Florence Williams
0 Likes

Leukotape is very good a sticking and staying in place.  It might work for you. I would try taping the areas you get blisters before you go. 

Possibly you should consult a podiatrist but applying an antiperspirant might help.

Also for many people trail runners work very well for most backpacking.   Wearing a lighter shoe rather than a boot may help keep you cooler. There are light weight running gaiters that can help keep stuff out of shoes if that is a concern.   Obviously depending on the person,  boots are really only called for in winter or very rugged terrain (generally off trail) or perhaps if you are carrying a very heavy load say > 50lb.

And on that, if you are not already, look into lightening your load... Getting you base weight (carried weight minus supplies) under 25lb is easy enough but 15lb is not that hard to achieve and some people have found ways to get under  10lb claiming "full comfort" although that maybe be a matter of opinion and obviously budget can be a factor when changing out gear.

I use Injinji toesock liners with smartwool socks, with leukotape as a backup plan if I start getting hot spots. I used to have a lot of problems with blisters between my toes, but now I only occasionally have an issue with my heels, which the leukotape is great for. A word of warning on the leukotape, if you do like I do and cut strips and put on wax paper, over time it will become unusable/impossible to get off the wax paper. 

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.