cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

How many days in an Osprey Kestrel 48?

Wondering if I made a mistake and should’ve gone bigger?  Im only looking for 3 days max with the pack.

I’ve purchased an Osprey Kestrel 48 along with a down bag, inflatable pad and pillow, GSI cook-set for 2 and an REI Half Dome 2 plus. (Have compressions sacks as well).

How many days can I expect?  Packing advice?  First timer planning on getting out their this fall!!

0 Likes
3 Replies

I would think that would be plenty big for 3 days. I have an Osprey Exos 58 and I have no trouble with getting a week or more in it, including a one-person tent, food, a 2.5 liter water bladder, and with winter items. I've actually considered dropping down to a 48 for week-long trips. I only use a compression sack for my fluffiest sleeping bag. The only thing that might cause you a problem would be a bear canister, but I don't have any experience with them as I've never hiked in big furry creature country.

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.

I just completed 6d 5n in the Bob Marshall Wilderness, located outside glacier NP in Montana. I carried an Osprey Atmos 50L. You should have no problem 3d with 48L. Unless by yourself id always recommen splitting up equipment/gear to decreaae wgt and/or allow for more luxury items.

Three days easy. I’ve been using an Osprey Atmos 50 for years. Done many 3,4&5 days with it. Even summitted Mount Rainier with it on a 3 day trek. Enjoy your hiking. Also remember it’s human tendency to fill the space you have available,  without the extra volume you will be efficient in deciding what to carry.