Highlighted

How many days in an Osprey Kestrel 48?

Wondering if I made a mistake and should’ve gone bigger?  Im only looking for 3 days max with the pack.

I’ve purchased an Osprey Kestrel 48 along with a down bag, inflatable pad and pillow, GSI cook-set for 2 and an REI Half Dome 2 plus. (Have compressions sacks as well).

How many days can I expect?  Packing advice?  First timer planning on getting out their this fall!!

0 Likes
3 Replies
Highlighted

I would think that would be plenty big for 3 days. I have an Osprey Exos 58 and I have no trouble with getting a week or more in it, including a one-person tent, food, a 2.5 liter water bladder, and with winter items. I've actually considered dropping down to a 48 for week-long trips. I only use a compression sack for my fluffiest sleeping bag. The only thing that might cause you a problem would be a bear canister, but I don't have any experience with them as I've never hiked in big furry creature country.

Highlighted

I just completed 6d 5n in the Bob Marshall Wilderness, located outside glacier NP in Montana. I carried an Osprey Atmos 50L. You should have no problem 3d with 48L. Unless by yourself id always recommen splitting up equipment/gear to decreaae wgt and/or allow for more luxury items.

Highlighted

Three days easy. I’ve been using an Osprey Atmos 50 for years. Done many 3,4&5 days with it. Even summitted Mount Rainier with it on a 3 day trek. Enjoy your hiking. Also remember it’s human tendency to fill the space you have available,  without the extra volume you will be efficient in deciding what to carry.