cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We are currently experiencing issues with logging in and staying logged in, most often with Chrome, We're sorry and are working hard on resolution.
Highlighted

Hiking Maps - what app do you recommend?

Hello,

My wife and I are slowly getting back into hiking and are setting a goal to possibly hike the AT by September 2021, which is close to her bday. We are hiking small trails in local state parks. We have talked about getting a paper map/compass and handheld gps to take with us when we do the AT. I have been venturing into digital maps on smartphone, however, I can’t decide what the best app is. I have All Trails and Gaia GPS loaded, but haven't bitten the bullet to pay yet.

Of the two, which has the best usability and understandability? I have been reading that most people like Gaia best.

Will Gaia allow you to see your location on the trail or give you some indication that you are on the right path like a handheld gps?

The reason for handheld gps is because if we get into an area where we have no smartphone signal, the phone may not give us a reliable gps signal, and we also want as many options as a backup.

I am open to all suggestions or if anyone has better options as well.

Thank You for your time,

6 Replies
Highlighted

GPS works without phone service.  You just have to make sure you have cached the maps on your phone while you have data service or WiFi. 

You can test this by putting your phone into airplane mode which will disable the cellular and wifi.  Generally this does not turn off the GPS receiver although that may vary by phone and you may need to switch it back on.

I have no opinion on Gaia vs AllTrails but Guthooks is another app that AT hikers use.

Also you may be interested in non electronic maps for the AT...

https://antigravitygear.com/product-category/pocket-profiles-guides-books/

Highlighted

Make sure to place the phone in airplane mode so your battery lasts.....

0 Likes
Highlighted

first of all, like @OldGuyot said, put the phone in airplane mode to conserve battery.  The gps function operates in airplane mode.

I've used Gaia for about 5yrs after using similar apps, it is hands down the best you will ever get, and about 1000X better than a handheld gps, because it does everything a gps does (it is a gps), plus you get the screen visibility of your phone.

When you pay for the app you get to download a basic set of maps for free, and several hundred more with a yearly subscription, the best being the nat geo trail maps, which are probable some of the best on the market.  Just getting those is worth 'the price of admission'.

What I do is go into caltopo.com, pull up the map of my hike, draw lines of my intended route and draw in things like trailhead, campsites, other features I'm interested in and then:

1. export the stuff I've drawn to a gpx file to my pc, then email that file to my phone and save it.  Gaia picks it up (magic) and shows it on the map you've downloaded to your phone before you left for your hike and lost signal (that's why you can keep your phone on airplane mode and still use the maps)

2. download that same map (you used in caltopo.com, i.e. forest service trail topo maps) or similar topo to your phone using your gaia app. (as I just said above)

now then, you go into gaia, pull up that map for viewing and your route will be displayed and when you're actually there, the gps arrow will/should follow your walk showing you your exact position.

That map you created in caltopo, use the 'print map' function and save a fantastic map as a pdf file.  I create the map as 11x17 1:24,000 scale, with UTM grid lines, then send it to my local UPS store for high quality printing, about $1.00, et voila! I'm all set for the trip.

I know, it sounds like a lot, but it's not...so much....when do it a few times

did that answer the question?

good luck

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes
Highlighted

@Philreedshikes, yes, answers my questions perfectly. I kind of knew the gps feature would still work on my phone. As I mentioned before, I have been reading reviews about gaia and believe it will me my ultimate gps app.

Thanks for the suggestions about downloading the map from caltopo and saving it them importing into to gaia. I also love the idea of printing the map at the ups store to have a paper copy as well.

I am gathering that you do the yearly membership with gaia and get the nat geo maps?

Thanks,

0 Likes
Highlighted

@Cdawley4 Yes I have the yearly subscription. I’m able to research the heck out of any popular or remote wilderness backpack, and translate that research into a safe and enjoyable experience and become the defacto “route “ expert.

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes
0 Likes
Highlighted

I'd recommend guthook  https://atlasguides.com/trail-guides/

0 Likes