cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

help for listing backpack

I'm hoping someone can help me out.  I have a Gregory Deva 70 backpack, the old version, that I absolutely love.  We've had many adventures together and I hope of have many more.  However, when we were in Yosemite a few years ago, it started listing to my left and has remained a constant problem.  It doesn't matter if I put all the heavy stuff up the right side, it still rides to the left.  I've had the pack back to REI thinking I'd gotten the straps all out of kilter, but that didn't help.  It still rode to the left.  Before I went to the Grand Canyon earlier this month, I loosened everything, packed it up and tried to tighten everything evenly.  It starts out straight and then over and hour or so, slowly slides to the left.  Doesn't matter how loose or tight the shoulder straps are (I prefer them looser), it still rides to the left.  And I pack the weight to the right side.  The only thing that is on the left that I haven't been able to find a home for on the right side is the tent poles, and they are really light being carbon fiber mix.

Any one have any suggestions as to the cause, and maybe a solution?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Found Myself Outside
0 Likes
7 Replies

Sounds like something is broken or no longer connected in the hip belt.  I believe the Deva is the womens version of the Baltoro.  I have an older model of that pack (2009) and the moulded hip belt "frame" pieces have an articulated attachment to the frame panel.  The hip belt padding attaches to the hip belt frame with a popper on each side.  I'm not sure of more current versions but I think they are some variation of that.  I would check all the articulations for breakage or wear and check the padding is secured to the belt frame.  I once forgot to re attach mine after a cleaning and it took me a while to figure out why the pack was not riding right.

You could also try giving Gregory a call. They do have some kind of lifetime guarantee. Email is a black hole with them I think, so use the phone.

Mine is vintage 2012.

I sure thought you were on to something @OldGuyot .  After I read this I ran and got my backpack but, alas, everything seems connected and both sides of the belt look and are attached the same way.  No loose straps, no popped snaps, no busted frame.  Both sides of the belt move the same way.  ☹️

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Found Myself Outside
0 Likes

Odd.

Other things I can think of are the belt stabilizer straps are not tight.  Fairly obvious so I think you would have seen that.

...or something broken where the shoulder straps attach to the frame.  There is a slide that locks the strap in one of two positions on an articulated (I think) frame piece.  I don't have my pack handy.

Another thought is that frame is not attached to the pack... due to sewing failure or other breakage inside the pack.

I'm assuming the normal strap adjustments are not just slipping.  If they are then they or their fasteners could just be worn out possibly more on one side but also possibly slipping on the side you prefer (or the reverse) as you walk.  People are not exactly symetrical. Cleaning all the straps and buckles might help if you havn't already tried that.

0 Likes

I've checked all those things.  Everything seems connected.  Straps aren't sliding.  In fact many of them have become stiff and are hard to make move; maybe stiff with dirt, so cleaning might help with that.  nothing seems worn out.  I've pulled everything apart and reconnected.  I've compared one side to the other and it all seems OK.  I must be missing something, but I don't know what that could be. 

Found Myself Outside
0 Likes

Hopefully not but another possibility is that it is something to do with you which is showing up when carrying weight.  A skeletal issue maybe.  Obviously not something one would prefer it to be but if it is that, there maybe ways you can address it.  

Maybe rent a pack for your next short trip a see if you notice the same thing. Or if it is some thing you notice after an hour or so try out a new Deva with full gear on a test hike. 

0 Likes

I used an Osprey in May and did not have the issue.  I couldn't get the pack to ride comfortably so I returned it.  Even with the list, my Deva is more comfortable. It's just very annoying

Found Myself Outside
0 Likes

I'll check over my pack when it is back at hand to see if I can see anything.

Even though it is not obviously brocken or disconnected I still suspect the belt articulation is binding possibly only under load, This may be due to wear or dirt.  I would take the belt padding off. On mine there are poppers.  Then clean the articulation between the belt and the frame panel. Try lubricating the moving parts sparingly with some silicon grease and see if that helps...you can get a finger pot of it in the plumbing department at hardwear stores ...apply a little to the moving parts and rub it in and off with a cloth so there is no sticky residue. This may help if it is surface binding but may not if there is wear on a pivot or track...I don't recall how it is put together.

The same could be true for the shoulder harness articulation but I think it is less likely.

0 Likes