cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Help deciding between 2 Nemo Sleeping bags

Hello! I’ve been trying to decide between the Nemo Forte 35 and Disco 30. The first question is being I’m 6’3” and 175 pounds;  should I opt for the Long version or the Regular version of either of these bags? I know for a mummy style bag I need the long version but with the style of these I didn’t know if I should stick with Long or get by with a regular?

Second, is there any real huge difference in these bags besides one is down and the other is synthetic? It looks like the Disco 30 is slightly warmer, lighter and compresses a little better. Is there any different features between the two? 

0 Likes
6 Replies

@Taylorloveall we love helping with these kinds of questions, so thanks for reaching out!

The Nemo Forte 35 and Nemo Disco 30 are both great bags! Despite similar temperature ratings and weight, the most significant difference between the 2 bags will be how small they pack down - the down bag (Disco) will back down much smaller than the Forte, which will be quite important if you intend to use it for backpacking.

In terms of length, we'd definitely recommend the long length for you at 6'3. The regular length in these bags fit up to 72", which is a bit short for you and means you will likely not have enough space around your feet and toes to keep warm.

We hope this helps; let us know if you have additional questions!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes

Thanks for the help! I’m leaning towards the Forte 35. Do you think those two options would be a good choice for a full 3 season bag (early spring to late fall)? I’m a warm sleeper and I was looking for a bag I could take into the 30s or 40s at night and be comfortable. I also saw there’s two different models of the forte 35 on the used gear page. Could you tell me the differences between the two? 

0 Likes

Hi @Taylorloveall - Love to hear you’re looking at these bags on the used gear page! Both are solid options for the temperatures you’re talking about, especially knowing you sleep warm. For staying comfortable in three seasons, make sure the bag you choose is paired with the right clothing layers and sleeping pad. Those three factors working together have a big impact on overnight warmth, especially in the shoulder seasons.

On our used gear site, you are seeing two years’ models of the Forte 35. Their differences are:

• 2018/19 Forte 35 - gray/maroon colors, comfort level 36° F , lower limit 27° F
  • 2019/20 Forte 35 -  blue/orange colors, comfort level 40° F, lower limit 31° F

Let us know if you have any more questions. Keep us updated on which one you end up choosing!

0 Likes

Depending on what type of hiking you do.  If your planning a hike in wet locations such as AT, the synthetic retains some warmth while wet, feathers dont.  Also, 30 degree bag is only a 3 season at best in the east on the AT as those mountain cold fronts will challenge a 30 degree bag.

@Gary2 while it used to be true that down feathers weren't great at insulating when they got wet, most of our vendors are now using "hydrophobic" feathers that ensure that they are still able to insulate even when exposed to moisture. The Nemo Disco 30 does have treated down feathers!

0 Likes

See REI article regard this 🙂  The AT can be very WET.

https://www.rei.com/blog/camp/down-vs-synthetic-which-insulation-is-right-for-you