cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Re: Have a gear hack? (get started with a migrating sleeping pad!)

I recently splashed out on a Thermarest  Neoair Xtherm sleeping mat (agonized over the Sea To Summit Comfort Plus Insulated due to it's inbuilt redundancy but Xtherm won on weight and R value), and as expected it skitters around my tent floor, which when combined with it being already relatively narrow makes for an unsettling nights sleep. I *also* shelled out on a Thermarest Questar bag which attaches, so at least that was one less variable, but I was still chasing my sleep around in circles.
I read that some people put lines of seam grip on the floor of their tent, but I 1. want to reseal my floor soon and that would get in the way, and 2. would prefer not to have permanent ridges on my tent. So I asked around on a free giveaway group and got my hands on some supergrip/nonslip rubber mesh material - and it works! A length under the middle of the pad has stopped it floating off where it pleases!
It's super light, can be rolled up in the mat, and is cheap (for me, free!). I might experiment with different lengths and placements for s**ts and giggles, but thought I'd pass the hack on!

Now I just need to anchor my Fillow down so *it* stops wandering (I don't think the same solution will work without glue or stitching which I'm nervous about) but any hacks on that front appreciated!

Also, any other gear-hacks out there??

0 Likes
21 Replies

Oh! *If* someone ever gives me a vacuum sealer for my birthday 😉
Yeah, freezer bag seal are not perfect, the bonus is that I have been able to un-bag my map on a good weather hike when I forgot a trash bag (see below post on "how unprepared is Bort" 😉 )

0 Likes

Actually, when you get home just cut off the sealed end, wash the bag with soapy water, then drape over a water glass or a tall wooden spoon in a heavy mug, then re-use! I keep using mine until they don't vacuum or are too small to hold anything!

@BortEdwards Here's a link to a previous thread with the same basic intent.  Didn't stay active very long either...

gear-hacks-for-the-occasional-backpacker 

I like the non destructiveness of the anti-creep mat.  From reports, I expected to have that problem in the Luna Solo tent which is made of,  apparently,  very slippery sil-poly fabric, it just didn't seem to be an issue with my x-lite so I'm glad I didn't preempt it with seam sealer when I was doing the seam sealing.  

Where I do possibly see the need is setting up in a slight incline as I have had to do on other trips.  A small strip of that might be enough to do the trick.  For me it really needs to have a alternative purpose to justify itself though.

Another way to keep it from sliding is to get some silicon and run a couple thin lines of it across your floor.  Doesn't need to be think, but it will keep you from slipping on hills 🙂

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.

That is a great hack, and actually reading about it is what got me to think other options, only because I didn't want silicon lines on my tent just yet (I'm contemplating resealing it in the very near future).
But it's a very solid solution by all accounts 🙂

0 Likes

When I want to waterproof my maps, I use cheap clear adhesive shelf paper on both sides.

one roll lasts for years.

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes

Another thing I do now regularly, and I learned this from others, I create my map in caltopo, then save the pdf, then upload that pdf to my local ups store and have it printed 11x17, color,  cost is about $1 per page, ready in about an hour 

@Philreedshikes That is a super useful hint that can seem very not obvious until it is.
I'm lucky in having a communal color printer, but the number of times I've seen poor sods standing in the middle of the trail going cross-eyed over their black and white map print outs trying to work out if they are aiming for a trail junction, a creek line, or a railway track...

And before anyone says "just use your phone", I'd never leave home with both. My paper map hasn't once run out of batteries 😉 

Absotively.

For a migrating sleeping pad...”The struggle is real!”

the best I’ve been able to do (vice moving the tent) is wedging my pack between the tent wall and bottom of the pad, to mitigate the migration, lol