cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Re: Has the seam seal issue on the MSR tents been fixed on the current models available?

Hi,

I have a an MSR Zoic in my cart but I am reading about seam sealing issues for those made in 2019. I am living overseas so I don’t want to face issues. How can I be certain that the tent I purchase would not be one of those impacted?

Here is a link to the issue ...  

https://www.reddit.com/r/CampingGear/comments/e9nwoe/psa_msr_tent_recall_check_your_tents/

Cheers

Karl.

0 Likes
2 Replies

Hey @Karl,

First, just want to say thanks for asking that question--because I am sure this posting will be a great resource for others looking at MSR tents in the future. So, I just got have off the phone with a representative from MSR discussing your concern. MSR had immediately replaced all their affected tents with REI last year, so all current tents in REI's inventory have had their seam sealant issues addressed (including the Zoic).

In fact, all current MSR tents are not only seam sealed, but also utilize their propriety Xtreme Shield technology for additional protection. When the tent is properly setup (with enough tension in the rain fly), the stitching at the seams will offer excellent waterproofing. Once again, this technology is utilized along with a coating of seam sealant for increased protection.

If you purchase an MSR Zoic tent from REI, rest assured that the seam sealant issue from 2019 had been addressed. Thanks again for your question, and feel free to reach out for any future questions as well!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes

I read the article, very interesting. 

I'd go ahead and buy the tent and then soak it in the backyard or leave it out for a few rainstorms to double check.

If it leaks, take it back.

BTW, we should probably do this anyway with any new tent before taking it out on trail.

That being said, soon or later you're going to have to re-seal it your self.

Tarptents.com has a great formula for DIY sealing on their website. (I'm sure REI has a video somewhere on this also)

You mix clear silicone with mineral spirits and then brush it on, cheap and super effective.  For large areas I've had luck the past couple of years with a spray sealant from walmart.

https://www.tarptent.com/seam-sealing/

Either way I highly recommend a test in the back yard.

good luck!

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes
0 Likes