cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Ham Radio on the trail?

Does anyone get in to Ham Radio on the trail or trying to hit far away locations when you finally summit a big hill? Just got my license today and trying to figure out if it would be a fun thing to bring, or a waste of nature. 

- I'm the best at being me when I'm outside
Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.
0 Likes
5 Replies

I carry an HT (Anytone D978-UV) with me and usually try to make a few contacts while I'm at camp or resting  I also have it beaconing APRS while I'm moving, just in case.  Have made some pretty cool contacts from high hilltops.  I usually stick to VHF Simplex rather than trying to find repeaters.

KN4FRS

0 Likes

What are you using for APRS? I am literally sitting down right now to start researching this. I got my call sign this morning. 

KD9SBV

- I'm the best at being me when I'm outside
0 Likes

Initially, I wax using a Baofeng BF-F8 HP radio with an OLD Android phone and a cable that I bought on Amazon for APRS.  It was bulky and clunky but it worked.  The AnyTone D-878UV though has GPS and APRS built in.  Takes a little finagling to get working but it works really well.  I also added a SignalStick antenna (you can literally tie it on a knot) and I just strap it to the side or back of my pack.  You can then follow the APRS stuff (you and everything else) on https://aprs.fi 

0 Likes

We carry Baofeng HP82s programed with local repeaters of locations we will be in,(Colorado even has a statewide network), national emergency channels, weather channels, also several private channels to communicate with my Wife in case we would get separated or an emergency scenario.  Kenwood 2M in our camper van for base camp comms. My Wife wasn’t on board at first but a couple of times they came in really handy and now also understands their potential in an emergency situation and how to call a Mayday. Now she is all for them. About the size of a pack of cigarettes. Great, cheap insurance. Would never count on a cell phone where we travel. 

Check out  POTA.  Parks on the Air

SOTA.  Summits on the Air

0 Likes

Programmed 

0 Likes