cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Membership now as great as the outdoors!
Already a member? Take a look at the Co-op Members section of the community.
Ready to join? Explore all of the benefits here.

Grand Canyon Permit Question

Question for anyone familiar with the permit process for GC.

I applied for the permit at the end of May for an October trip (5/20-6/1 was the window for applications). I've looked and looked but can't figure out how long it takes to hear back.

Since it's almost the application window for November trips, is it safe to assume that I didn't get the permit? I do know that my credit card has not yet been charged. I'm thinking I didn't get it but just curious if I am jumping the gun on the assumption.

Thanks!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Between every two pine trees there is a door leading to a new way of life.” (John Muir)

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.
5 Replies

hey there @Dad_Aint_Hip , wasting time on my pc delaying this afternoons walk...when that happens to me (talking about GC permits) I call the backcountry office and get the real scoop on my application.

One of the things they tell me, and really works, is have several alt dates, sometimes I'll write in 'whatever 5 day period you have' between such and such dates.

but like I said, just give them a call

good luck!

DSC01268.JPGDSC01279.JPGDSC01418.JPG

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes

That helps, thanks Phil! I'll call shortly. 

“Between every two pine trees there is a door leading to a new way of life.” (John Muir)

I also applied for October. I heard (via GCNP R2R FB page) that they had over 2,400 applications for October alone and people can expect to hear before July 1st if they were selected or not. 

Good luck! I've been trying for year and no luck yet but I can't be too flexible on my dates. 

"Turn and listen, for not only in my eyes is Paradise"
-Dante

Hi there! I have looked into a GC hike and read that they typically release the lottery results 3 weeks after the first of the month where your application window ends. Since your application window for a Nov trip ended Jun 1, then you should hear back this week. Are you planning a rim to rim? I've heard the Escalante route is a really great hike with much less demand if you want to increase your chances of getting a permit or have a backup option.

Cheers!

Dan

UPDATE 

Well, got the official notice just now that I didn’t get the GC permit. Guess I’ll try later this year for April or May of 23. 

Setting my sights on the Loyalsock Trail in mid-September now. 

0 Likes