cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

FWIW Small Fuel Canister Burn Time

A little experiment today. I timed the burn-off of a full small fuel canister.

Outside temp 53F

Full throttle

stopwatch.png      stove.jpg

You're welcome 😉

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes
5 Replies

@Philreedshikes Thanks for posting!

What kind of stove was it? It looks like a pocket rocket but I am curious. Perhaps a Soto? Any idea on how long that stove takes to boil water?

Thanks!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes

@REI-JohnJ  the stove is an "Outsmart"

I did some stove comparison tests while getting ready for a JMT trip:

Goal – to find the best stove/pot/cup – AND FUEL CANISTER combination for a trip of at least 7 days, but not needing to exceed 7 days.

Best means lightest weight and enough fuel for at least 7 days.  Seven days means boiling (for the test) 2cups of water up to a maximum of 4 times in a 24hr period, for an expected burn schedule of; 1-2 cups for breakfast meal, 2 cups for 2 coffees, 2 cups for dinner package re-hydration, 1 cup for possible evening herbal tea, plus 1 cup extra.

Burns means bringing 2 cups of water to a boil. Assumptions:

1. Burn time is not a factor because…well, there’s not much else to do in camp.
  2. Use of a fuel canister stove, with either small or large fuel cans, whichever provides the required number of burns.
  3. Canisters don’t need to last longer than 7 days because that’s the longest time between resupply.
  4. Minimum number of burns required is 28 (7 days of camping X 4 burns per day). This is the most important factor. (ok, this is an assumption and a requirement)

Note:  while reviewing manufacturer data on various stoves and their boil times and fuel usage, the common test factor was the time to boil 1 liter of water, with the water at 68F or room temperature.  I don’t think I’ve ever boiled more than 2 cups at a time and my “room” is the outdoors with the water (snowmelt) at least in the 40F range. 

For my tests I used water stored outside with  temperatures in the 40’s. Note: 

For a weekend trip, the final best stove/fuel-can result is totally different because you may only need 4-8 burns.

Here are the tabular data, presented this way because the margins here are so narrow:

STOVEFUEL WEIGHT (GRAMS) BEFOREAFTERTIME TO BOILTIME (SEC)
JET BOIL TEST 2 NO CUP1941891 MIN 40 SEC100
JET BOIL W CUP1261211 MIN 50 SEC110
BURNER W CUP1211124 MIN 43 SEC293
SNOW PEAK BURNER W CUP1891783 MIN 51 SEC231
OUTSMART BURNER W SCREEN1121013 MIN 10 SEC190
POCKET ROCKET W CUP2081942 MIN 14 SEC134
STOVEFUEL USED TO BRING 2 CUPS TO BOIL (GR)(STOVE OR STOVE + CUP) UNIT WTPOTENTIAL BOILS (100 GR CANISTER)UNIT WT STOVE+SM CAN
JET BOIL TEST 2 NO CUP527020464
JET BOIL W CUP533720531
BURNER W CUP98011274
SNOW PEAK BURNER W CUP111129306
OUTSMART BURNER W SCREEN11809274
POCKET ROCKET W CUP141417335
STOVEFUEL USED TO BRING 2 CUPS TO BOIL (GR)POTENTIAL BOILS (227 GR CANISTER)UNIT WT STOVE+ LG CAN(UNIT WT STOVE+ LG CAN) OZ
JET BOIL TEST 2 NO CUP54562622
JET BOIL W CUP54569324
BURNER W CUP92543615
SNOW PEAK BURNER W CUP112146817
OUTSMART BURNER W SCREEN112143615
POCKET ROCKET W CUP141649718

In my own tests with the Soto Windmaster fuel consumption to achieve a rolling two cup boil varied depending on how high I cranked up the burner.  Using half-turn (180 degree increments) I found I could optimize my burner for minimum time to boil or minimal fuel consumption.  

For raw speed I use settings that spill heat up the sides of my Toaks 600.  This wastes is completely unacceptable for minimal fuel use. I recommend that each hiker experiment with their own configuration to learn how best to use it to meet your goals.  

I can get a small MSR canister of gas to last almost TWO WEEKS...

[drops mic, walks away]

0 Likes

@SurvivalGalvery nice!

0 Likes