cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Fuel canisters and the Tetons

I'm hoping for some opinions on how much fuel I need for six or seven days in the Tetons. I am trying to decide whether I need to bring two canisters. The only size available is the 220.  I am looking at the map, but that doesn't take into account the fact that I only use my stove a couple of times a year, which, by the way, is a pocket rocket 2.  nor does it take into account the bad guys never use it at that kind of altitude.  I will be making 12.5 oz two person mountain House meal in the evening, either a mountain house or oatmeal for breakfast oh, and hot cocoa likely with those meals.  I am leaning towards two because fuel is not necessary the place I want to take the chance of not having enough in hopes of saving a few ounces. it's really more question of space sense I am going by myself and my osprey Xena 70 is going to be maxed out with the bear canister.

Opinions?

0 Likes
18 Replies

Take two, don't sweat it.  An alternative would be to take some solid fueel tablets as a backup, which is laways worthwhile.

That's a good idea.  Thanks

By the way that should have said charts not maps, has in fuel usage charts.

0 Likes

You should be fine with just one. I use the 220gr because that's the easiest to find here, and I use around half in 5 days. I also use the pocket rocket II. I'm planning a 10 day hike in November, and only planning on taking one 220gr can. I heat water for breakfast and supper (freezer bag or mountain house meals), along with coffee in the morning and usually hot chocolate in the evening. Taking a backup such as solid fuel is not a bad idea either. The only thing I don't know about is how the altitude affects usage, as my hikes are not very high. Seems like with less oxygen you're going to turn it down and use less fuel, but at the expense of taking longer to heat your water, so probably about the same fuel usage overall. From what I've read elsewhere it's way more important to warm the canister if it's cold than altitude being an issue.

I've often wondered what freeze-dried meals taste like with cold water, but I've never ran out of fuel LOL.

@Daxigait This is a question we get frequently! I would recommend taking two canisters with you. Most likely, you will just use one canister; however, altitude and cold temperatures will affect boil time, meaning it's better to be on the safe side and take more than you think you may need. I'm not sure what time of year you are going to the Tetons, but nighttime temperatures will still get very cold in the summer, so it will probably take longer to boil water than what you are used to. Also, I like to think of my fuel as a survival mechanism: If my water filter were to fail, I can still boil water to make it drinkable. Hope this helps! Enjoy the Tetons. They are absolutely incredible! 

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.

I’m traveling home from a just finished 10 day loop in the teton wilderness, Turpin meadows trail head to bridger lake & return. I used 1 220gr can w plenty left. Oatmeal w 2 coffees for breakfast, 1 MH for dinner. Morning temps 39-43, dinner temps @75-85f.

Stream/lake temps....who knows, lol...40’s? ,

If you’re worried about it, carry an extra 110 gr can.

ps don’t forget bear spray, MANY piles of griz scat. For scientific research I discharged my bottle at the end of the trip, but that’s another story 

good luck

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes

thank you all for tipping in. I appreciate the opinions that helps me make my choice there's no way to make my pack anything but happy since I'm going by myself. It looks like I'll have 40 lbs plus the fuel and bear canister.  yuck

As to when Thursday!

0 Likes

why does your pack weigh so much? How much water are you counting?

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes
0 Likes

Well the osprey xena 70 is near five pounds, tent is 4.5, sleeping bag just under three, pot with stove, fuel, wind screen (foil) scraper, first aid kit with meds and epi, survival kit, water filter, hydration reservoir, two head lamps with batteries, clothes 2 outfits plus sleep set, flexlite chair, toiletries, bug, sun screen, camp suds (1.5-2 oz each), gogirl tp,  bag for trash and extra, stupid heavy water  shoes(keens), rain gear, puffy and vest. rain/sun hat, ....

It adds up quick.

0 Likes

As to the bears and possibly mountain lions now you leave be alone and let me be an ostrich 

Just don't tell survivalgal I said that lol

0 Likes