cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Frame-Grab selfie Gila Wilderness/Cliff Dwellings NM

shameless gopro frame grab upon arrival back at Gila Cliff Dwellings (area) trail head a few days ago...

GX011167_Moment.jpg

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes
4 Replies

Gila Cliff Dwellings NM!!  Memories....Worked there, summer of 1968 with my great crew of Navajo stone masons, repairing the walls and generally fixing the place up.

Phil, how are things holding up?

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.

Dwellings and the whole place were terrific! I I hope to return!

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes

I spoke with a Zuni trail crew at El Morro National Monument. They lived nearby. If they couldn't do jobs farther away, there was always work to do nearby at the National Monument.

They had been tasked to do more repair work at Gila Cliff Dwellings National Monument. They were rock mason trail folks.

They were not able to go down to the Gila because of the fire that Phil has mentioned. They'll go back whenever smoke and conditions allow.

So the work you've done years ago is being carried on by today's younger generation. Pass the baton. 

Fires and the Gila go together.  The first day that me and my crew arrived, there were a bunch of small, lightning ca - used fires burning, and our crew was recruited for fire duty -loaded two by two into helos and off to the fire.  my foreman and I gracefully took up the rear (I was already planning the spending of my additional pay).  When it was our turn to board, we were told that the fires were all manned and we got to stay home - Darn!

This shows the adaptability of my crew.  Imagine going to a new place, no previous experience, being loaded into a chopper, given tools and rations, and told to put out the fires.  They did the job with nary a complaint - pretty sure they relished the OT pay, as well.

Many fond memories......

Actually I am trying very hard to pass on the baton, working, mostly on a volunteer basis, with the new generation of workers who are well trained and ready to do great things....

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.