cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Food bag recommendations

So, it's just about time for a new food bag and I wanted to get some recommendations.  My current bag is small (i can get 3 days of food in it, sort of) and I'd like to have something a little bigger.  I typically do bear hangs in an effort to protect it from bears and rodents (a buddy of mine has used the bear boxes twice and, both times, got rodent-ed, after making fun of me for hanging mine 🙂 ).

Anyway, I've seen several YouTubers with fancy (expensive) cottage products and wanted to see what y'all use / recommend.

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.
7 Replies

I use the largest of the pack of three dry sacks.  Cheap, large enough for five or six days food, waterproof, lightweight, and did I say cheap? 

Retired medical technologist and engineer
REI member since 1978

@Hikes_in_Rain  is that the Wal Mart 3 pack or does REI have one?

REI does have bags;  good ones.  I started with the WalMart set, and found they have a really different definition of waterproof than I! Look for roll down tops, sealed fabric, things like that. I still use one or two of them just to keep things organized in my pack, but I do what I can to keep them dry.   Here's a search that should help:  https://www.rei.com/search?q=food+bag I now use the Outdoor Products three pack, which was gifted to me, but I don't see it here.

Retired medical technologist and engineer
REI member since 1978

I recently ponied-up and got a large waterproof dyneema food back from Hilltop Packs.  Wait for a sale, but I'm very happy with the product.

I have used a bear bag from Hilltop Packs for a couple of years now, and it’s quality gear.  Expensive, but I doubt I will need to ever purchase another bear/food bag again.

@nathanu @JeffPPeters I second the Hilltop Packs review.  I first discovered them in a podcast I listen to, and have never been disappointed with a single product purchased from them!

I do a lot so solo backpacking usually less than a week and use the Bear Vault. As far as hanging, I have also used heavy duty clear plastic fold over sacks used for kayaking and canoeing. I know they will be waterproof, plus, I can see through them,

aka "Boonerelli"

0 Likes