cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Do you have advice for how to seam seal a tent rainfly?

I have a NF VE-25 Tent.   The seam tape is starting to flake off on the underside.   I'd like recommendations for preparing the fly for seam sealing.   I'd also like recommendations for the type of seam seal product (PE vs  Silicone) to re-seal.   

Also, any other general recommendation for seam sealing.

Thanks.

0 Likes
1 Reply

@rlhanson99 

Thanks for reaching out!

We've had a couple of threads around this topic, we recommend you take a look at these:

Additionally, we have an Expert Advice article, How to Waterproof a Tent, that outlines the process for seam sealing in really good detail. If the only issue with your rainfly is that some of the seam tape is starting to flake, you can likely get by with a sponge and some rubbing alcohol, working your way along the seams to remove the flaking parts. If you need to waterproof the whole tent, or if it has issues with mildew, you'll likely want to follow the entire process lined out in the first conversation linked above.

Lastly, most of The North Face VE-25 tents are sealed with polyurethane, so you'll want to seal the seams with a product like Gear Aid Seam Grip Seam Sealer or Gear Aid Seam Sure Water-Based Seam Sealer. When applying, simply follow the instructions that come with the product and you should be good to go.

Hopefully this helps, thanks!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes