cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Dear Santa...This year I would like....

1. a new pack

2. A new pair of trail runners

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes
30 Replies

More time would be my first answer but, I’m terms of “stuff”, Soto has the Navigator cookware that I’ve been eyeing. 

But my real wish? To successfully get a permit for the GC rim to rim 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Between every two pine trees there is a door leading to a new way of life.” (John Muir)

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.

I know rim to rim is the aspirational thing, but if you are going to GC, the Phantom Ranch experience is sublime.  I hiked the GC a few years ago with a friend who had reserved spots at the Phantom Ranch dormatory. As you go down it gets hotter and hotter and hotter and hotter until at last you arrive at Phantom Ranch where they have swamp coolers! and iced lemonade! and a steak diner!  So there you are just blissing out until about 3am when you have to get up to eat breakfast and walk up the hill on the other side.  We went North rim to South Rim, and when you get to the top of the Bright Angel Trail there is ice cream!  I have to say, the two-day version of the rim-to-rim hike is a peak experience because the pleasure points are so hightened.  You might want to enter the Phantom Ranch Lottery while you are at it. 

Don’t forget phantom ranch also has ice cold beer!! Traveling so can’t post any of my 3 billion pics! 🙁

Excellent suggestion! I read that the steak dinner there is an absolute must for those on trail!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Between every two pine trees there is a door leading to a new way of life.” (John Muir)

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.

3D8B7B1D-5D35-4703-9320-785866AE5286.jpeg

Living the dream!

0 Likes

1) A Yampa River permit.
2) Wool socks.

Pretty sure Santa will come through with at leat one of those requests. 

Wool socks are always the best!

As always happens, off season daydreaming has me thinking about a possible return to Iceland, soooo…a really good, but exceptionally lightweight FREESTANDING tent would be appreciated.

recommendations appreciated

With all the 20% off coupons flying around right now I wouldn't wait for Santa for the tent if your daydreaming has substance.  What to get depends on what you want it for.