cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Curiosity 1 – Socks and Sock liners

I have been watching a number of items on VLOGs.  Some of the gear being used is interesting.  So, I thought I would ask a few questions.

I use sock liners and have found them useful.  I use the Injinji liners (have separated toes).  I found they help me from getting blisters on the insides of my toes.

However, I have not seen many folks using “five toed socks”.  Also, I have not seen VLOGgers suing sock liners.

What do folks think about the “five toed socks?”

What do folks think about their hiking socks?

What do folks think about sock liners?

Enjoy

JohnL

0 Likes
14 Replies

I typically wear "People Socks" smartwool socks or Darn Tough socks and Altra trail runners.  I haven't used the sock liners, just because I've never had a need.

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.
0 Likes

Hi @nathanu , You should give the liners a try.  I never thought I had a "need", and, I still wouldn't say I "needed" them.  I never experienced any problems without them, but after using them, I found they provided more comfort.  Kinda like heated seats and heated steering wheels in cars.  They seem silly and unnecessary until you actually use them and have that "Ahhhh" moment.  😌

All three address needs on a long trail.  I prefer darn though.  If you are starting out, try them and go with the most comfortable and that which does not give you blisters 🙂 

0 Likes

No liners here. I haven't encountered anything that Darn Toughs and Oboz shoes can't handle. However, I am not a thru hiker. Longest distance for me has been around 50 miles over 5 days. I do like to pack extra socks. The weight is low enough that it's worth it to me although I end up with a couple pairs of fresh socks at the end. 

0 Likes

I would never use a 5 toed sock. That would drive me crazy. I don't use sock liners, either. I have found the wrightsock cool mesh 2 to be a really good sock all by itself to prevent blisters. On occasion, I will also place a strip of duct tape over a part of my foot where I tend to be prone to blisters for extra protection, but the cool mesh does a pretty good job all by itself. In colder weather, I switch over to merino wool socks when I am done hiking and also sleep in them depending on how cold it is.