cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Curiosity 1 – Socks and Sock liners

I have been watching a number of items on VLOGs.  Some of the gear being used is interesting.  So, I thought I would ask a few questions.

I use sock liners and have found them useful.  I use the Injinji liners (have separated toes).  I found they help me from getting blisters on the insides of my toes.

However, I have not seen many folks using “five toed socks”.  Also, I have not seen VLOGgers suing sock liners.

What do folks think about the “five toed socks?”

What do folks think about their hiking socks?

What do folks think about sock liners?

Enjoy

JohnL

0 Likes
14 Replies

Personally I have not had the need for toed socks or liners.  For hiking I gererally use Darn Tough medium cushion wool blend.

When backpacking, I wear hiking boots with injinji toe sock liners and smartwool light hiker crew socks. I find that the toes socks keep me from getting blisters between my toes, and using liner socks keeps me from getting heel blisters.  When hiking but not using a pack, I wear trail runners with Injinji "run midweight mini crew" toe socks, no liners. I don't have an issue with heel blisters when wearing trail runners. This is what seems to work best for me. BTW, my feet sweat a lot.

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.
0 Likes

I never hike or backpack without liners. In cold weather I use Smartwool or DarnTough wool socks and liners. I warmer weather I use CoolMax liners and DarnTough CoolMax socks. My feet seem to sweat more in both summer and winter and I get more blisters the older I get.

aka "Boonerelli"

Regardless of the weather, I wear the Injini toe sock liners and a pair of Darn Tough socks. Warm in winter, great job of wicking perspiration in the summer. 

I have a pair of ankle height Injini toe socks and although I do like them, I just find the combo of liners and regular socks. 

I did try the liners with to toe socks but I found it was just too much material between my toes for comfort. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Between every two pine trees there is a door leading to a new way of life.” (John Muir)

0 Likes

Hi @JohnL02 . 

For years I never even knew sock liners existed, but then several years ago I discovered them, and since then, have found them nearly indispensable, not necessarily for everyday wear, but any extended walking excursions.  I wear them under a variety of wool socks (REI, Darn Tough, Smart Wool) in varying weights and thicknesses tailored to the weather conditions.  In the summer I wear ankle socks with liners when hiking, and no-shows with no liners when cycling.  In winter, I wear the liners with crew length, or even expedition weight socks (I seldom cycle in the winter).  The liners help wick moisture, and reduce friction, keeping my feet warmer and more comfortable.  Only recently, based on posts from @Dad_Aint_Hip , I have tried the Injini liner toe socks. In the few times I've worn them, I find them comfortable, but can't say there's any significant or noticeable difference between them and regular liners.

0 Likes

I wish that Injinji would want a 60+ yo spokesperson.  I never hike without them, and often wear them to work.  I’ve had no blisters at all since switching from silk liners several years ago.  I had one problem spot between toes that would blister even on a short walk.  I had started using a silicone toe tube to protect it but I hated the feeling in my shoe.  For me, the outer sock choice is secondary to the Injinji.  Smartwool and REI are what I use most.  

0 Likes

Like a couple of you mentioned I occasionally get blisters between the toes.  Which is why I changed to the Injinji liners.  I love having the liners.

Enjoy

0 Likes

It's taken me a couple of years to figure out, but what is working for me is the Injinji liner toe-socks paired with Darn-Tough hiking socks - with no blisters.  I'm considering trying hiking with just regular Injinji hiker socks with no liners to see if I get any blisters.  

I never heard of Injinji liner toe-socks until I read your comment. I ordered two pair and think I will lkie if not love them but have yet to wear them hiking. Thanks for mentioning them.

aka "Boonerelli"