cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Collection of Vintage Outdoor Catalogs

Have you seen this one @REI-JohnJ and history buffs?

https://gearjunkie.com/outdoor/utah-state-university-outdoor-recreation-archive

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.
5 Replies

I am sure that is n important collection, very useful for research, but I wonder how they will document another important resource, very influential in the 40s and 50s -military surplus outlets.

I say this because as a relatively penniless college student in the 50s, I patronized a local source - Bob's Bargain Barn - for boots, packs, sweaters, you name it.  Some of the stuff was junk, but much was good to excellent.  Milsurp has apparently disappeared now, but back then it was quite important, although catalog free....

@hikermor 

Military Surplus stores are alive and well in Fairbanks, Alaska, I can promise you that! When I was living up there I got my Air Force extreme cold mukluks at one of the five surplus stores in operation. I used those mukluks for all my winter adventures and my feet never got cold. I'm sure those style boots and bunny boots keep a lot of those stores afloat! 

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes

I have wonderful memories of surplus mukluks!  In 1987 when I was on a Denali mountain patrol for the NPS, we skied up the Muldrow to the Advanced Base Camp, wearing double insulated climbing boots.  We were at the ABC for about two weeks, temps were routinely minus 20F, and we wore mukluks routinely.  They were heavenly! - toasty warm and good footing in the snow and ice.

I wonder if they might have made their way down to your surplus stores.  They would be easy to recognize - a very stylish black color.....

It would be fantastic to review the catalogs once more.  Other chores were always on hold when the new goodies were featured

@TomIrvine 

I have actually seen that archive! Our Living Archive team has actually connected with that group at Utah State and is looking forward to building on that relationship in the future. It's a really cool glimpse into some amazing history. Someday we hope to have a digital system that allows you to look through all the pages of those catalogs. Thanks for sharing!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.

Of related interest, Backpacker magazine from 70's through 2009 is available via google books.

https://books.google.com/books/about/Backpacker.html?id=_d8DAAAAMBAJ

I've mentioned this before but it seems worth repeating here.

0 Likes