cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Can I Scotch Guard my pack cover?

I have a Gregory Paragon 58 pack that has an included rain cover.  I've heard a lot of folks say that the rain covers are really not too effective and was wondering a) if Scotch Guard may make it more water proof, b) if it would help and c) if there would be a downside. 

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

@nathanu the pack cover that comes with your Gregory Paragon pack is treated with a DWR coating that should work quite well for keeping your pack dry. Over time, that DWR can wear off, either through abrasion or time, and we recommend retreating the cover with the Nikwax TX Direct waterproofing solution, as this is designed with technical fabrics in mind. Hope that helps!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
3 Replies

@nathanu the pack cover that comes with your Gregory Paragon pack is treated with a DWR coating that should work quite well for keeping your pack dry. Over time, that DWR can wear off, either through abrasion or time, and we recommend retreating the cover with the Nikwax TX Direct waterproofing solution, as this is designed with technical fabrics in mind. Hope that helps!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.

@nathanu I have a Gregory 70ltr Deva and I ALWAYS spray Scotchguard on it before a hike during the rainy season (not as often otherwise). If you use Scotchguard, be sure to use the one with the GREEN label ("heavy duty").

Then again, I routinely use it on a number of items including my Mammut rain layer, my tarp, my rain hat, my sleeping bag....

sure can.  I buy this can of waterproofing spray at walmart.  I now use it to give my tent large area coverage, and I put it on my hat, but your post reminded my I can use in on pack! duh... thanks!

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes