cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Can I fit my tent in a 65L backpack?

Hi there,

I purchased an Osprey Atmos 65L last week and I'm now shopping for tents.

The one I'm looking at is the Quarter Dome SL 2 which is lightweight and the perfect size for me + my kid.

My question is, would this tent fit in my backpack? 

Thanks!

Backpack: https://www.rei.com/product/134072/osprey-atmos-ag-65-pack-mens

Tent: https://www.rei.com/product/147863/rei-co-op-quarter-dome-sl-2-tent?sku=1478630002

0 Likes
19 Replies

great point! lol

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes
0 Likes

A guy actually argued with me because I got a 75L. He told me it would be so much heavier........ Not unless you need it to be.

0 Likes

Yeah, been there. I was recently challenged on my pack purchase. Yes, it's heavy at just over 5 lbs but it's so comfortable that I don't really notice the pack weight. AND it does such a great job of distributing the weight across my torso.

I look at those UL packs with their "barely-there" straps and wonder how people really enjoy carrying just 15 pounds in them.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Between every two pine trees there is a door leading to a new way of life.” (John Muir)

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.
0 Likes

He was explaining to me that a 75L will be so much heavier than a 60L because of the extra 15L........................................... What some decide to not understand is that while one CAN load 60 lb into the pack, one does NOT have to.

My point is, you dont have to stuff a 65-75L pack, but it is nice to have the extra room.  If the OP loads 25lb in their 65, and I load 25 in my 75, I am carrying a pound more. (a bit under 3lb more VS the exos 58) I have a High Sierra Appalachian.

The OP needs to remember that while packing for themselves AND the kid, that less is more. You figure out what you dont need in about 2 miles.

I’ve been satisfied with an exos 58 for probably, going on, maybe, 6 years, but in defense of larger packs, in winter, there’s no way I can fit all my stuff, I have to literally strap sweaters and other layers to the outside once I start heating up a bit and I’m talking about a short weekend hike.

winter stuff just takes up so much more room, not that much heavier, just bulky.

I also use an exos 58, and I don't have any trouble getting winter gear and 5 days of food in it. But my "winter" might not be as cold as yours, I get by with a 20 degree bag, usually our winter lows are 20-30. I have been forced to wear my puffy inside my bag on a few occasions LOL.

good job....jealous!

It looks like you've got your answers! I like to put the tent poles along one side of the pack & tightly roll the tent body & fly and just work those in toward the top of the pack. This has worked for me with a 48L that includes my sleep system, bear can, rain gear, lights & first aid, etc - I have faith you can make this work! Leaving the stuff sack at home & storing parts of the tent individually gives you a little more freedom when it comes to tucking things in places (a footprint can become very small). Good luck!

0 Likes

Absolutely. I took a weekend trip with the Atmos 65 and my Quarter Dome SL 2 a couple weeks ago and the tent fit fine with room to spare.

0 Likes

Its a bit late for this advise but you should always buy everything else before the pack so you can ensure you get the right size.  The Atmos should carry this easily but it really depends on what you plan to take with you.  

0 Likes