cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Can I fit my tent in a 65L backpack?

Hi there,

I purchased an Osprey Atmos 65L last week and I'm now shopping for tents.

The one I'm looking at is the Quarter Dome SL 2 which is lightweight and the perfect size for me + my kid.

My question is, would this tent fit in my backpack? 

Thanks!

Backpack: https://www.rei.com/product/134072/osprey-atmos-ag-65-pack-mens

Tent: https://www.rei.com/product/147863/rei-co-op-quarter-dome-sl-2-tent?sku=1478630002

0 Likes
19 Replies

easily.

Always depends what else you have in mind to put in there of course but given typical kit you will have no problem with that tent.  Its a light weight compact model.

I don't think you will have any issues with a 65L pack. If you do, maybe try tie down straps and tie it to the outside of the pack.

Hi @dalvarenga  

I have the Half Dome version of that tent and a Gregory 65L pack. The tent fits into it with ease, along with my larger sleeping bag and everything else. 

The trick is to take the tent, fly, and footprint out of the stuff sack and cram it (carefully) into the bottom of your pack. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Between every two pine trees there is a door leading to a new way of life.” (John Muir)

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.

one point to note is that the QD SL2 is semi-freestanding  which means the tent body is not fully supported by the pole system.  You have to stake out the two corners of the foot end which is slightly more annoying to set up than a freestanding tent where the body is fully supported. 

You typically have to stake out the vestibules of the fly on most free standing tents and you should always stake/guy out a tent to stop if from blowing away.

0 Likes

Yes absolutely, if not, you’re probably over-packed

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes

one little caveat, frame of reference here is 'summer backpacking'. If you need to stuff in a bear vault or larger winter bag/mat, you'll probably need to start stuffing those outer pockets.

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes

Yes.

0 Likes

I would also say you'll have no problem.  I have a Gregory 65L and have also had the REI Quarter Dome 2 (older version) on trail with me.  I never had any issues fitting that and everything else in there.  

Keep Calm and Paddle On
0 Likes

Shouldnt be a problem. Worst case, put the poles on the outside in the side pocket and under the compression strap. Sometimes poles dont want to pack nicely. You can put a lot into a 65L pack. Just remember, you dont HAVE to fill it. They carry ok without being stuffed.