cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Big Agnes Copper Spur HV UL2 Bikepack for Backpacking

Hi there! I accidentally ordered the Bikepack version of the Copper Spur HV UL2. My primary use is backpacking for now. I understand the main difference between the Bikepack and normal version is the shorter poles for putting on handle bars, which result in a little more weight on the bikepack version.

With that said, the pack size seems considerably smaller on the Bikepack - 19.5 x 6 for the normal UL2 and 7 x 13.5 for the bikepack (bikepack is net 22.5 cubic inches less). The weight difference is 6 ounces. 

It seems like the bikepack might competitive for backpacking with that pack size trade off. 

Has anyone chose to use the bikepack UL2 version for backpacking? I was planning to return for the normal UL2 (especially since it is $50 bucks cheaper), but am now considering sticking with the bikepack. Thoughts?

0 Likes
7 Replies

Your backpack is critical gear.  Get the proper model, especially if it is cheaper.  Even is it should cost more, you will be glad you did.

Are you sure the pack is a proper fit?  That is extremely crucial and outweighs virtually very other factor.

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.
0 Likes

I have the UL1. While i bought the bikepacking version primarily to fit nicely into my panniers of my bike, i've used it also repeatedly and very happily for backpacking,  appreciating the more compact pack-format when stuffing it into my backpack ...

Another thing to consider is the the bikepack version will have more pole joints, which in my experience is the main failure point. I'm sure that either will work well for backpacking, but I personally would go for the normal one, shed 6 oz and a few failure points, and save $50. I don't have any issue with pole length, mine are 18 in. 

It probably comes down to personal choice more than anything else. 

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.
0 Likes

The bikepacking version will work fine for backpacking but I would say that unless you expect to use the tent bikepacking in the next two year or so I would return it for the standard model.  There is no reason to carry the extra weight for what is basically the same tent.  I am assuming the models you are comparing are both the updated model...the bike packing version has lagged the model upgrade in the past since it is more specialized.

One issue with the exchange is that these tents seem to be in short supply so don't return it until you have secured a new tent if you want to use it in the near future.  Consider the BA Tiger Wall UL2 (SilNylon) or even the REI QD SL2 (PU Nylon) as alternatives.  They are semi-freestanding (you have to stake out the foot of the body) and a little less storm worthy all due to the tripod pole system but they are quite a bit lighter and work fine for most 3 season uses.  I recommend using a footprint and personally I think the factory ones work best although they are expensive and you can make you own from Tyvek or polycro/window film.

The BA BP CS UL2 is heavier due to features you don't need for backpacking like shorter poles, a special handlebar stuff sack and and maybe a few other bike oriented features.  It is designed to pack in a shape that is convenient on a bike but that is just unnecessary for backpacking where you might not even use a stuff sack. Reducing the number of stuff sacks to a minimum is part of what you do to reduce your pack weight.  A oz or two here and there adds up to a 1lb or two overall.

That said it is a bit hard to say where the weight is coming from in this tent and that may make it moot for you.  As best I can tell it seems the pole set adds 3-4oz and the fancy "bike" stuff sack adds around 2oz although there maybe some other extra loops and things on the tent.  You don't need to take the bike stuff sack backpacking and if you want to use the factory footprint (optional extra but recommended) then you can possibly use the standard 5oz one vs the larger 9oz "bike" one saving ~4oz.  Note: It is not clear to me that these footprints can be used interchangeably so research or make sure you can easily return if doesn't work

Thanks, OldGuyot. This was really helpful. 

I ended up swapping it out for the BA Tiger Wall UL2. This seemed like the best of all words for me since my primary use is backpacking (never bike packed before, but sounds interesting 🙂 ). 

I tried it out this last weekend and loved it. The semi-free standing setup is a non-issue for my uses and still relatively easy to put together. The lower price point is also notable.

Happy camping!

0 Likes

I recommend making some extenders for the fixed guys.  there are various ways to to that buy I like lineloc adjusters.  There are different linelocs for different size cordage so get ones that work with the size of cord you choose.  You can find 1.3mm or similar cord and suitable lineloc V which you can find with pre-sewn loops or that you can just larkshead the lineloc's attaching bar onto the existing fixed lines.  

Use a larkshead to attach the sewn loop or the  lineloc's directly to the existing fixed guy loops

Cut a short length of cord.  About 18inches is good.  Thread it through the lineloc appropriately to form and adjusted end and an adjuster end.  It should be fairly obvious how to do this I think but it is hard to explain.  The cord should form a loop over the locking bar so both ends emerge from underneath the lineloc.  bringing the ends forward to the V, the adjusting end is underneath and the adjuster end is on top so it can lock in to the jaws.   Tie a bowline at the adjusted end to hook over the tent stake and a stop knot on the adjuster end such that pulling the stop knot end shortens the length of line between the lineloc and the bowline. 

I'll post a picture later.

0 Likes

Adjuster for a fixed guyAdjuster for a fixed guy

0 Likes