cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Re: Lightweight camp / water crossing footwear

Looking for lightweight footwear suitable for camp wear and possibly water crossing. The latter not as important as my usual hiking footwear = running shoes that dry quickly. I see Chacos run up to two pounds a pair--have seen other similar options. Anything lighter? 

22 Replies

I use Crocs but there are genric ones that will do. There are a lot of different types of them.  I like Crocs they dry fast, are easy to put on and off, and are light weight.  I need something with a little protection and support.  

On a 130 mile hike on the John Muir Trail I wore trail running shoes, light marino wool socks and Dirty Girl Gaiters all the  time - for hiking, stream crossing and around camp.  The shoes dried very quickly.  No blisters or hot spots.  The shoes provided excellent traction on stream beds.    No need to carry extra shoes!   

0 Likes

Do you live anywhere near a dive shop or store that caters to scuba diving?  If so, check out what they have in the way of reef-walking booties, as those are lightweight (often made to fit with your feet in the fins so they don't need to be removed) with a very good sole that will prevent being cut from the sharp coral.  You can also do the needed research and then buy them through Amazon, but it's always good to actually see, touch (and maybe try on) footgear before you purchase anything.

0 Likes