cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Backpacking Trip to Weminuche Wilderness; latter half of July

Looking for partners for a trek into the Weminuche Wilderness July 19th to July 24th. 

4 Replies

The weminuche is a fantastic area!  On a return trip to do the maroon bells 4 pass loop, a few years ago now, there was snow on the passes, so we opted to drive south and do a week in the weminuche, going in at the ute trail head and waded across the Rio Grande into the wilderness, first trip and we didn't get into as much of the higher country as we probably could have (one member of the group get a bit altitude sick, so we lost 1 day to rest up).

Would def do a return trip.  But would allow more time to acclimatize, and get a fishing license.

not my best vid, but shows the river crossing

https://youtu.be/FGemaNTU5E8

I can't believe it been 10yrs, have so much more experience now, and a much lighter pack!

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes

Howdy, Phil, I just realized I have a response to my post in the REI blog, if that's what it is.  I'm looking for someone to backpack with in the Weminuche since I do not want (and my beloved wife does not want me to) hike alone.  I'm looking at a 4-5 day trip from the Needleton trailhead. I've climbed a couple of 14ers in the last three years but have not backpacked in quite a while. I'm 69 this year, have a one-year old partial knee replacement, and work out 3-4 days a week and bicycle on weekends. 

@jaydeuce438I hear you! I'm 68, going slow, but still going.  If you can't get anyone to go with, I'm taking a group of friends up to Bridger wilderness in Wyoming the first of july, for a old and slow 10days if you're interested.

that area, imo, is the most beautiful in the US, excepting the sierras.

here's a link to the map route https://caltopo.com/m/FKA1

good luck!

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes

Wow! My dad went to a geology summer field trip to somewhere in the Wind River Range in college. 10 days is more time off than I can afford from work but I love to go there.