cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

backpacking sleeping bag recommendation?

I am looking for a new sleeping bag to outfit for my GC backcountry hike. The requirements are very lightweight, comfortable to 20 F and most important, I have to fit! I'm 6' 1" with broad shoulders and chest - like a 54" suit coat-broad. I don't mind a mummy style bag, but find that with my shoulders, I can't move. Have any suggestions? 

0 Likes
7 Replies

GC?

There are lots of alternatives but if you don't like being constricted and where you are going is not consistently 20F, you may want to considering a Thermarest X-lite large ( or similar...an appropriately insulating pad is as important as the choice of bag) and a Large Wide (or X-Wide) quilt ...for example say the Enlightened Equipment Revelation. X-wide is custom for EE so takes a while to get. EE tend to be a bit optimistic in their temp ratings so choosing a 10 degree is better if you expect many cold nights. If the area tends to be wet you might want to get a synthetic quilt (EE use APEX) but otherwise if you can keep it dry a down quilt is lighter and packs better for the same weight, and also typically last longer and rejuvenate better.  Other quilt vendors are Katabatic, UGO, Nunatek etc. etc...just search for backpacking quilts to open up a world of confusion.

As another suggestion the first bag that comes up on REI currently is the Nemo disco 15 which in Long has a shoulder girth of 66inches.  Disco bags are a hybrid shape that suit side sleepers and people who move around a lot ...I have not tried one personally so just pointing it out

https://www.rei.com/product/163032/nemo-disco-15-sleeping-bag-mens

Hi @RedCloud69.

I can't disagree with @OldGuyot , but will supplement his recommendation with something that's a bit of a hybrid between a quilt and a conventional sleeping bag.  Sierra Designs has the Backcountry Bed, and the Cloud 800.  These are both zipperless and allow for more freedom of movement.  Both require a pad as neither has insulation on the bottom side (by design).

It looks like REI is not currently carrying either, but you can check them out here.  https://sierradesigns.com/zipperless-sleeping-bags/

Good luck!

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.

I've got a Nemo Tempo 20F and have been pleased with it.  I've camped in it in the high twenties and have been comfortable.  I was in a hammock with a 40F underquilt and a Merino wool base layer and I stayed very comfortable.  I've thought about getting a sleeping bag liner (specifically, the Sea to Summit Thermolite Reactor) in case I find myself in much colder conditions but, in the twenties, the Nemo Temp worked well.

I'm 6'2" with similarly broad shoulders.  I've got room in the bottom of the bag to keep gear that needs to stay warm (water filter, next days socks, etc.).

0 Likes

I assume that "GC" refers to Grand Canyon, in which caw a 20 degree rating might be shaving it a bit thin,  in the off season, winter and spring, GC temps can eeasily fall below 20 degrees.

0 Likes

I LOVE my Katabatic bag. I own a Sawatch with 2 oz extra fill.  if you like hiking in the cold, this bag keeps you warm down to about 0 degrees Fahrenheit. Matching it with a proper pad and you have the best sleep system in the world. 

0 Likes

https://katabaticgear.com/collections/elite-quilts

0 Likes

@RedCloud69  - I have the same problem:  Tall with broad shoulders.  I'd check out Enlightened Equipment.  Look at their range of widths.  I have been real happy with my 20F Convert in XLong/Xwide and I just got a 40F Revelation in Long/Wide for warmer weather.  Best decision I've ever made.  Just be aware of the long lead times if you go the custom route.  Make sure you pair it with a warm pad to stay warm all night.  Happy Trails!

0 Likes