cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Backpacking Hiking groups\ clubs

Hi everyone 

I am seeking out connections to groups that go out on hikes. I would prefer to hike with men my age 57 years old. But if I have to I can keep up with most people. I want to go on overnight trips or even 2 or 3 night trips. Finding a group seems to be difficult. If anyone has tips or suggestions I would greatly appreciate the help. My wife is not interested in backcountry adventures but I got the bug this year.  I did it for several years when I was a young adult then set it aside to raise my family. Now I wanna go back.  I’m geared up and ready. 
thanks in advance. 
Doug 

0 Likes
5 Replies

Hi @douglasgolden - I am a huge proponent of Meetup.com. I've joined a couple hiking and backpacking groups in my area (Chicagoland).

Meetup groups can be a great place to meet like-minded people and, in our group, I've gotten to know a few people and will be joining some of their group outings later in the Fall. I'd start there.

Good luck

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Between every two pine trees there is a door leading to a new way of life.” (John Muir)

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.
0 Likes

where do you live?

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes
0 Likes

Snohomish county

Washington State

Google has at least a dozen different entries on how to find a hiking partner so I don't think it's going to be easy. Treasure the companionship you do find, but don't make it limit you from getting outside on your own.

0 Likes

I love MeetUp.com for finding outdoor groups.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Found Myself Outside
0 Likes