cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Membership now as great as the outdoors!
Already a member? Take a look at the Co-op Members section of the community.
Ready to join? Explore all of the benefits here.

Backpacking Hammock & Accessory Recommendations?

Hello! 

I want to get a hammock for backpacking as a gift to my husband. I looked at the "Kammok Mantis All-In-One Hammock Tent" and the "ENO DoubleNest Hammock," but I didn't realize that we'd probably need accessories. Can you make a recommendation for what I need to make this a complete package without going overboard? He loves gear, but we're usually good about keeping things simple. I definitely want a rain fly, and the right straps for that and the hammock itself. As three-season backpackers (we almost never go in the winter), do we need the under-quilt thing? 

We have no previous experience with anything except tents for backpacking. This is an intriguing new world that I know nothing about. 

Thanks for any advice you can provide! 
(Also, we have a membership: I think it's under my name but his email address. 🙂

Danielle

4 Replies

I have an ENO DoubleNest that I sleep in fairly often. It is big enough so that a single person in it can kind of wrap the extra fabric over  like a blanket which keeps out some degree of insects and light rain, but not as well as a tent with bug net and rain fly.  One advantage/drawback (depending on how you look at it) of sleeping overnight in a hammock is that air circulates all around it, so no matter how hot it is when you go to bed,  if you don't insulate you wake up cold in the middle of the night.  I use my hammock with a Thermarest RidgeRest size regular pad (it costs about $20) to keep warm and a down pillow to prop up my head. 

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.

Just as Amy said, except for the middle of summer you will need some insulation underneath you. I have also used a sleeping  pad in an Eno but an underquilt works better in some situations.  You may need to consider bug netting depending on where you are. A simple item that I like is a square of tryvek or plastic sheeting on the ground beneath my hammock. I use this to step on before I can get my boots on and to place some gear that I do not want on the ground.

I'll add my agreement on the underquilt even for summer camping. My wife and I did a short section of the AT in Virginia (starting at the James River Foot Bridge, going south) in late July of 2017. We spent the days sweating in shorts and short sleeves, and a couple of nights wearing every layer that we could, including socks over our hands. It was our first serious backpack/hiking trip. We had done some shakedown trips and did not anticipate the difference even the relatively small change in elevation would make. 

I also support the small square of 'stuff' as a hammock welcome mat kind of deal. I made a duck cloth cover to wrap all the hammock gear into a bedroll to protect the delicate nylon from snags while hiking. It's nice to be able to stand up on a clean surface when you get out of the hammock, or get ready for bed. Less chance of bringing critters or organic material into bed as well.

Apparently I can't edit my post after a certain time period.

I just found a pic from that trip, which I hope will soon be attached to THIS post. We did have underquilts as you can see in this picture. Also just barely visible under the red hammock on the right is a light blue duck cloth welcome mat/protective cover. These hammocks and associated gear are Twisted Root Design , which I don't think are made anymore.20170725_085501.jpg

0 Likes