cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Any suggestions for fuel leaking from Soto Amicus stove?

hello-

i bought a soto amicus canister stove- with the cook kit- a month ago.  i am happy with the stove, except for one thing: it spurts fuel upon connecting/disconnecting.  it's a significant amount... enough that it gets on my hands.  i have similar stoves of different brands, and they don't do this.  and yes- i have the fuel control turned off.  is this a soto thing?  gasket?  i have a friend who uses a windmaster, and it does the same thing.  is it safe?  suggestions?

thanks

2 Replies

It is normal for some gas to escape when connecting and disconnecting a stove to a canister.  The reason is that the pin that opens the valve must do so before the O ring seals on the stove seal it to the canister or it may not open the valve enough.  So long as you let the leaked gas disperse before lighting the stove there is no significant danger and even then it is minimal.

I have an Amicus also. There is a slight leak...a phuuut!... when I tighten it the last turn or loosen it.    I can generally judge the point and turn the stove in the thread a little faster to minimize it.  It is certainly no more than other stoves I have used and I would say it is better than others but I don't have them here to compare ...I have used some random one, Jet boil original and Jet boil Minimo. 

Your leakage sounds a bit excessive.   I have not had gas spray on my hand.   It may vary with the canister since the lindal valves are molded and not very precise and a poor example may open early.  Possibly you just have to practice.  

Note:   I know you said the stove was off but it is the case that in folded position the Amicus control valve is not off so you do have to remember to close it before connecting the canister.

The Amicus has a double O ring seal so once the canister is connected it is safe.  If you detect any signs of leakage once the stove is connected,  there might be an issue and I would check the O rings to see if they are damaged.

@guamsean 

@OldGuyot definitely gave you some good tips there. The only other thing I may add, would be checking if you have tried a different fuel canister? That would tell you if it was the stove or the canister. Additionally, you can check out this conversation, Gas leakage msr pocketrocket 2 stove / canister , as it seems to be a similar issue with a different brand of stove.

Hopefully this helps!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes