cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
REI is actively reviewing its policies and procedures per the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's new guidance for COVID-19.
As we have since the start of the pandemic, we’ll continue to prioritize the health and safety of our employees, customers and communities.

any excellent hiking boot laces?

I'm just wondering if anyone has found any "excellent" hiking boot laces. You know, ones that stay tied, don't wear through after a month, etc. I keep buying whatever I can find locally, and they never seem to last more than a few months. Even the ones that came with my Oboz boots didn't last long. Just wondering if there are actually good laces out there.

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.
9 Replies

Agreed. Please help.

Lucky me! I went through my old unused emergency gear I won't allow my OCD to carry anymore and found some laces from the last millennium, probably 1980s.

I mean, **bleep**! They don't make 'em like they used to.

0 Likes

@SILHiker 

This is a timely question!

I just noticed that there is a shoe repair shop in the town I just moved to and I was thinking about stopping in and asking if they had some advice about rugged laces. I feel like I'm always wearing through them about 6 or 7 inches from the end, right where the lace typically presses against the first eyelet.

I'll let you know if I learn anything if I get a chance to stop by!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.

That's where mine tend to wear through too. I usually have enough lace to cheat off the other end, but I'd think with technology they could come up with some that don't break.  But then they'd only sell one pair, right? LOL

0 Likes

I can't remember when I last broke a shoelace.  What is available is incomparably superior to the offerings of the last Stone Age.  Most of my boots are Vasque brand, if that makes any difference, and day to day, I am usually in some sort of sneaker.

Seriously, I have been impressed with the recent quality of laces - they seem to be most synthetic fiber....

0 Likes

You have better luck than me LOL. It could be partially that I have narrow feet, and therefore lace my shoes and boots tighter to take up slack. On some of my shoes, you can't see the tongue because the eyelets are pulled together. I always have to add an insole just to eat up space. And in a size 14 too. My wife hates to go shoe shopping with me! (That's a switch, ain't it?) I might have to get some Vasque laces, if that's possible. 

Try Owaho kevlar reinforced laces (ebay). I shred laces (imagine a badger in need of a manicure tied your boots in a hurry...) and these seem to be quite solid. They are not pricey either (my last set of kevlar laces was $22, these are about a third of that). Good luck!

Thanks I'll try them!

0 Likes

I've lost more shoe soles (2) than broken shoe laces (0).  I can always rig up a new shoelace;  skip every other eyelet, use some of the paracord I always carry, for example.  Lost shoe soles, now, that's a whole nuther story!  First one, I had some adhesive tape I carried.  Sort of worked, but I quickly ended up using it like strong cord holding the sole to the boot.  Couldn't stand up to the wet trail.  The next one, didn't even have that.  Just kept walking, losing the whole sole, the stiffener under that, on both shoes.  Ended up walking on just the insoles, which is just a little better than walking barefoot! Painful. A small roll of duct take made a permanent addition to my pack!

Retired medical technologist and engineer
REI member since 1978

I always had the same problem with laces breaking at inopportune moments. One time I replaced my shoe lace with a small diameter accessory cord from the rock climbing gear I was carrying. I'll be darned if that didn't turn out to be the best, most indestructible shoe lace ever. I've been using that ever since. Most of the time the cord outlasts my boots.