cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

After the Trail, At the Campsite

Alright, you've spent the day on trail and putting some miles under the treads of your shoes... you've set up camp and it's time to relax. So you reach in your pack and pull out your favorite beverage. What did you bring?

Me? I love pouring a glass of bourbon. The smokiness in the whiskey goes great with a campfire!

I know @REI-JohnJ  @Rob6 @SILHiker @nathanu @johnt have their (differing) opinions  😊

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Between every two pine trees there is a door leading to a new way of life.” (John Muir)

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.
17 Replies

Well, I rarely have a campfire, and actually rarely take spirits unless it's pretty cold. Before I snuggle into my bag, I'll have a few sips of Shipwreck Coffee Rum, or sometimes Fireball. If no spirits, then dark chocolate cocoa with dehydrated mini marshmallows LOL

I do have to say tho, I've recently discovered Papa's Pilar Rum, and I might be convinced to take that along.

I must say that there is something about a spiced rum that's enticing.

I rarely have a campfire myself. So maybe I should have said "sitting around my canister stove" LOL

“Between every two pine trees there is a door leading to a new way of life.” (John Muir)

Well, it's usually water for me 🙂 or a Gatorade. Sorry I'm lame and have yet to advance to the "finer" beverages 

That's not lame at all, @HoughtonLikeTheLake ! 

Funny, I've considered a flask of spirits a couple of times (including Saturday's trip) but have never taken any.  By the time I get to camp and have everything setup and ready to relax, all I want is water.  If possible, cold water.  I do have a flask though, so I'm halfway there 🙂

I bought the ultralight flask from Nalgene last year!

These days, I am perfectly content with water, but I haven't always been so placid.  During my youthful college days I was a member of a group called the "Roma Ramblers,"  Ramblers after the U of Arizona hiking club, and Roma after the bottle of Zinfandel we drank after reaching the summit, whereupon we signed the label and placed the empty bottle on the summit cairn, descending more or less tipsy.

Later on, becoming heavily involved in search and rescue, I drastically curtailed my boozing, dealing with drinking to excess as the leading cause of accidents and fatalities in our area (southern Arizona).

Today I am basically a teetotaler and content.  I know that a shot or two at the end of the day is quite different from my youthful exploits and actually may be healthy.  Just be careful around steep terrain.....

Bear Down, hikermor. I Winter in the Tucson area and my closest friends are Ramblers.

I rarely carry a spirit, but when I do it’s cognac.  Just a bit as the sun sets warms the throat and feels like a luxury after a long hike.  Most often, though, it’s herbal tea like Yogi Egyptian Licorice.

In the morning, it’s PG Tips, a British black tea.  For that reason alone I just cannot backpack without a stove.