cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
REI is actively reviewing its policies and procedures per the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's new guidance for COVID-19.
As we have since the start of the pandemic, we’ll continue to prioritize the health and safety of our employees, customers and communities.

Re: After the Trail, At the Campsite

Alright, you've spent the day on trail and putting some miles under the treads of your shoes... you've set up camp and it's time to relax. So you reach in your pack and pull out your favorite beverage. What did you bring?

Me? I love pouring a glass of bourbon. The smokiness in the whiskey goes great with a campfire!

I know @REI-JohnJ  @Rob6 @SILHiker @nathanu @johnt have their (differing) opinions  😊

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Between every two pine trees there is a door leading to a new way of life.” (John Muir)

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.
17 Replies

I agree that bourbon at the campsite just like your own outdoor happy hour

Hi @Dad_Aint_Hip , and everyone else.

Despite my post on a separate conversation, I don't typically carry any alcohol with me on a backpacking trip, or even a day hike.  I too did get the Nalgene flask, so I may add that to the 10 (or maybe 11 ) essentials.  Yeah, that's it!  Mine goes to 11!

But...when car camping, or after a nice long day hike, nothing is better than a nice cold beer.  We have several farm breweries around here, so lots of good, locally brewed craft beers to choose from.

Straight up copying @HoughtonLikeTheLake here...

At home my liquid intake is 98% water.
An occasionally morning cup of juice or evening mug of hot cocoa and definitely some egg nog seasonally.

Don't appreciate any of it enough to warrant carrying it so on the trail or around the fire it's water unless feeling the need for a gatorade.

Carbs within 20 minutes of ending exercise to maximize muscular recovery.

Then, it's 4:20 somewhere.

I sit in my hammock with my water.

A cold beer!

0 Likes

Bourbon or scotch.  Took some Baccardi 151 rum on a longer hike, figuring I could use it for fuel for my alcohol stove if I ran short.  Really short.  Maybe a couple of days after running out.

Retired medical technologist and engineer
REI member since 1978

Wine all the way, unless it's a serious/extensive trip, then it's only electrolytes and water haha!

www.brynsharpphotography.com