cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

After hike rituals and rewards

After backpacking trips, my partners and I love to grab a meal in whatever local town is around. Our favorite is Brunch in Louisville. I also REALLY love having something to look forward to when I get back to the car. Candy, an "iced" tea (melted or not as cold by now, depending on the temp and trip length), a change of clothes for sure. 

What are your rituals and rewards?

- I'm the best at being me when I'm outside
Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.
31 Replies

I'm finding I crave a Ribeye Steak after every 3 day hike.

Drinking a local brew while getting off my feet! If it is via a hammock, all the better :).

Out of Many, One People

Like some others have said, we like to find the closest tap room, grab a cold beverage and follow that with a nice fatty burger. As much as I can enjoy Mountain House, there is nothing like a burger and beer after a week + of freeze-dried food.  

Keep Calm and Paddle On

I like to switch my shoes out at the car, head to a local spot for a cold beer and some food, then head home and take an epsom salt bath. 

@jmtgirl  Good call on the Epsom bath! 

Keep Calm and Paddle On

On overnights, love to pack a couple of beers in a cooler and cover with a blanket for an immediate reward. A good meal on the trip home (I agree with @Bonfire about fish tacos!). Then to the hot tub!

0 Likes

After every hike, lots of ice-cold water and then a nice hot shower.

Then off to a great restaurant to fuel up. If it was a mult-day hike with only trail food, a nice thick porterhouse steak 😋

Absolute first thing at the end of a hike - change into my driving sandals! I also keep a cooler of light beer to sip on while evaluating where to eat. Good local burrito spots can be hard to find, so my hiking buddy usually picks a brewpub. If you hike with me, you can always trust I'll order the pub nachos for the table while we wait for the real food to arrive! 

Pub nachos for the table sounds like a ritual worth keeping!

- I'm the best at being me when I'm outside
Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.
0 Likes

If you don't get donuts and wash them down with ice cream I don't know what is wrong with you.

0 Likes