cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

After hike rituals and rewards

After backpacking trips, my partners and I love to grab a meal in whatever local town is around. Our favorite is Brunch in Louisville. I also REALLY love having something to look forward to when I get back to the car. Candy, an "iced" tea (melted or not as cold by now, depending on the temp and trip length), a change of clothes for sure. 

What are your rituals and rewards?

- I'm the best at being me when I'm outside
Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.
25 Replies

Bonfire,

Ha, I am feel'n you! For day hikes, it's water at the van, and then diet coke and dill pickles at the first gas station/food mart that we find. For longer, multiple day trips, it's back at the van for very cold diet coke for me and Dr. P. for my sons, and cholate with nuts for all. We keep both of these in a small, very sealed cooler, one that stays cold for days. Once on the road, it MUST be cheeseburgers, fries, or better, onion rings!

JG

I like to head for the closest brew pub or taproom for a burly ale and a burger.

And it always tastes ten times better than usual at the end of a multi-day outing!

...Wanderer

There are only two options: tacos and wrong answers LOLOL (kidding)

At the end of a long day on trail, a few tacos (preferably fish or shrimp on corn tortillas) and a cold beer.

Although the real treat is getting home and peeling off the clammy, sweaty cloths and jumping into a nice shower and getting clean again. THEN food and drink.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Between every two pine trees there is a door leading to a new way of life.” (John Muir)

@Bonfire 

Great conversation! No matter the outdoor activity and no matter how long, I always crave a chocolate-peanut butter milkshake. That's my post outdoor adventure ritual for sure!

Drinking a milkshake is (almost) better than taking off my boots and putting on my flip flops...

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.

@REI-JohnJ Well now *I* want one, too

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Between every two pine trees there is a door leading to a new way of life.” (John Muir)

0 Likes

Yes!  Ice cream/Milkshake for us as well!  Something about ice cream makes everything perfect! 😁

0 Likes

For sure, the after hike feast! Ice cold (or not) brewskies and whatever I’m ’jonesing’ for, either burgers or mex!

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes

Rum n coke, sitting on my deck, looking out over the fields that surround my house, while thinking back on the trip I just finished. After a shower, of course.