cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Re: Advice for how to clean a backpack.

Had a real sweat fest weekend.  Is it okay to hose down by backpack and let it drip-dry to get all the salt out of it--Osprey Aether pro 70?

Thanks

0 Likes
7 Replies

There's no harm in doing that but if you really want to dissolve out the sweat, you need to use some sort of soap.  Osprey recommends Nikwax Tech Wash.

[Deuter recommends pH-neutral soap or shower gel.]

...Wanderer

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.

You're allowed to wash your backpack?

Hosing it down or a few plunges in the tub is all you'll ever need to do. 

Let it drip dry someplace where it can air out a bit.

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes

@Philreedshikes 

My poor footing in stream crossings typically means I 'wash' mine (along with everything in it) while hiking!

In fact, that may be what I tell people I'm doing the next time I slip and fall in: 'Nothing to see here, just washing my pack!'

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.

Exactly!  It seems it rains on me every trip these days, so the pack gets 'washed in route'.

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes
0 Likes

@Philreedshikes wrote:

You're allowed to wash your backpack?

Hosing it down or a few plunges in the tub is all you'll ever need to do. 

Let it drip dry someplace where it can air out a bit.

Water alone, whether rain or a hose, doesn't completely get rid of the sweat or the smell. I find that after a week or two of hiking in hot weather the back panel and shoulder straps of my pack start to smell.

After a season of hiking the aroma becomes quite noticeable and objectionable. So my packs usually get a proper full immersion in soapy water bath at the end of every season--whether they need it or not. Make sure to fully rinse out the soap before hanging out to dry. 

Best to dry on a warm sunny day because this takes a long time for a soaked pack.

...Wanderer

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.
0 Likes

@Albert Great question!

To answer your question, yes, it is okay to use water to flush the salt and sweat out of your backpack. @Wanderer is also correct that you can use a non-detergent based cleaner (like Nikwax) to help get it even cleaner. If you have particularly stubborn spots you can also use a light brush (like an old toothbrush) or sponge to rub the soap in. Then rise it clean and let it drip dry.

Hope this helps, thanks!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.

Thanks...

0 Likes