cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Hiking group in Texas

Hello there! I'm turning 21 in a few days and wanted to find a couple of hiking partners or a hiking group that tends to hike somewhere around central Texas.

I've been trying to find friends my age that are not attached to social media and tech but that love the outdoors and being physically present in the moment, but for years I couldn't.  So now, I'm here in hopes to find a couple of buddies to tag along with on their next hiking spree. 

My name's Vega and I'm a well experienced hiker and eventually want to take on camping and backpacking. 

If you're in central Texas, in a group and don't mind an extra friend on the trail, please let me know. Thanks. 

Labels (4)
5 Replies

It's also worth noting that I've already tried meetup.com and various other sites and apps with no success. Wondering if it's just me?

0 Likes

HI @Bushcraft_Vega - Thanks for reaching out! 

Hopefully some other community members will find your post and respond here, but if not, there is another resource we wanted to share. If you are on Facebook, there is a Central Texas Hiking & Outdoors group that looks pretty active and is intended to connect people looking for hiking partners in the area. They share about outdoor meetups, while also connecting people looking to hike without needing an official event.

Hopefully this helps!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.

Finding people your age with your interests is sometimes a challenge. My best success for meeting people has been on the trails themselves, be friendly and you will be surprised by the connections you make. I've become friends with people of all ages and walks of life. You can also take some free classes at REI- I met a few folks that way, but none ended up hiking with me.

I spend alot of time in Dallas and would be down to hike anytime, although I'm about a decade older than ya  Insta: @speakingquitefrankly

Thank you for your advice it's much appreciated. 

0 Likes

@Bushcraft_Vega Hello! I made an account just to reply haha. I have been wanting to get into hiking, however I am from Houston, Texas and have no experience whatsoever. I hiked a few times once in Washington and another time in Mexico and I loved it. I know you were looking for a group and someone your age (I'm 18), but if you ever do need a friend!! It would also be nice to talk to someone about this kind of stuff. Anyways, I know I do not meet your requirements BUT I am down to talk about hiking and all that cool stuff.