cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Would an REI 20% coupon exclude the Garmin Inreach Mini?

I want to buy the Inreach Mini, but I can wait for the 20% coupon.  When that comes out again, are there exclusions for the electronics.  Trying to decide whether to buy now or wait it out for that coupon.

0 Likes
5 Replies

@Hikergirl Just the comments of a non-REI employee - If you look at the last several REI sales, generally the high end electronics have been excluded from the 20%(or whatever) discount coupons.  I do not anticipate any change in the future.

I can only say that if you ever use the mini, or any similar device, in an emergency, it will be worth every penny spent on it, and you will be glad you spent the coin.

@Hikergirl thanks for the question! Typically, electronics are excluded from our 20% member coupons.

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes

@Hikergirl What they said but the Mini and other Garmin devices have gone on sale a couple of times in the last year or so saving around $50.  No guarantee of this of course. 

If the cost is a stretch and you don't need it this summer/year you may want to wait on buying one.  If you do need one for a particular trip I recommend buying fairly close to the start of your trip so you can watch for sales in the mean time,  but long enough before it so you can get it working and practice with it.  I believe the cheapest way to use it in the US (freedom plan) assuming 1 or 2 trips a year requires an annual fee of around $25 and a month to month (30 day) subscription of about $15 to activate it.  You must suspend the subscription during that month (eg as soon as it starts) to ensure you do not get charged for a 2nd month assuming you don't need that.  Theses fees are not included in the purchase price.

0 Likes

@Hikergirl Actually it is on sale right now...so if you need it this summer...

https://www.rei.com/product/140110/garmin-inreach-mini-2-way-satellite-communicator

The unit is th same price at the Garmin website, so it looks like a price reduction across the board.  Will miracles never ceasee?

PLBs like the various Garmin units revolutionize search and rescue and save lives.  These units are quite valuable if one is not in cell phone range and in a less frequently traveled region.  But many things are just as important, or more - like a decent first aid kit and the knowledge and training to use it, signal mirror, whistle, map and ompass, and other vital gear (e.g., the Ten Essentials).

Be aware that even if  your all goes through, weather and other factors may delay a response. Plan ahead for self-sufficiency....

0 Likes