cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Re: Why is REI no longer offering free shipping?

I was told in a phone conversation with REI that due to stores being closed shipping would be free.

when I attempt to place an order online it shows a shipping charge.

please explain 

geoff Wool

Fairbanks, Ak

8 Replies

Hey Geoff!

Thanks for reaching out! I am also in Fairbanks, Alaska!

We apologize for the confusion regarding shipping charges. For orders from REI, the free shipping threshold is for orders over $50. Here in the community we do not have any access to any order information, so if you believe you are being charged in error, you will need to reach out to our Sales and Customer Service team at 1-800-426-4840 or via LiveChat. They have access to order information that will be able to help them answer your questions.

Hope this helps and I hope you are able to enjoy some of this beautiful spring weather we're getting!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes

Shipping used to be free though, why did REI change this policy when they havent reopened any stores yet? 

@travdivs 

Good question! Free shipping with no minimum purchase was a limited-time promotion that has now ended. However we do still have free U.S. standard shipping on orders of $50 or more (exclusions here).

In addition, we have just begun to roll out curbside pick-up with the plan to expand the service nationwide over time. As we launch new services, and eventually reopen stores, we encourage you to stay connected with REI.com and your local store page for updates.

0 Likes

No free shipping or free returns when stores are closed is bad for business.  I just emptied my cart and purchased on Amazon instead for free next day shipping.  REI should have continued the free shipping and added free returns if they wanted to provide an excellent customer experience. 

@Whodah 

One of the reasons we are most excited about this online community is the ability to hear directly from our members with their feedback, suggestions, complaints and kudos. We appreciate you reaching out and providing us with your perspective on our free shipping and options for returns shipping.

We will be sure to pass this feedback along, thanks!

0 Likes

@REI-JohnJI also will continue to shop amazon for all my outdoor gear as long as REI continues to drag out these closures. Also as an REI member, I am not happy with what that will be doing to company profits and my dividend.

0 Likes

Kind of tough to swallow the $75 shipping charge and have to set a bike up yourself (not that it’s difficult!its the principal of the matter) while stores are closed and no pick up is available near me. 

0 Likes

I pretty much do not buy from REI because of the shipping charge...  When is a deal not a deal - when the savings from a promotion are offset by the shipping.

0 Likes