cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Why I Am Dumping My REI Credit Card - Love REI but not U.S. Bank

I love REI but not U.S. Bank.

Please see reference link and pass along to REI leadership.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/01/opinion/sunday/us-bank-fired-employee.html?fbclid=IwAR15tWwsW9tWm...

7 Replies

Very interesting!!

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.

Everyone should read this article—especially whoever is in charge of the REI credit card.  Please email EricArtz@rei.com and let him know what you think!

wow, that's pretty horrible, makes me very angry.

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes

Agreed. We should not so business with a company which treats people that way. REI should change banks. I will cut up my REI card if US Bank does not make things right for the terminated employees.

@RayPowell @scout-norm @Boylehp @hikermor one of the reasons we are excited about this new community is the opportunity for us to hear directly from our members. So with that said, we very much appreciate you sharing your concerns about US Bank with us here in the community. Please know that we have escalated your feedback internally and will respond here with more information as soon as possible.

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.

@RayPowell @Philreedshikes @scout-norm @Boylehp @hikermor thank you, again, for bringing this to our attention. We always like to hear from our members on important topics like this, and appreciate your taking the time to contact us. We are currently in a multi-year contract with US Bank, which issues the REI credit card for those who choose it. That relationship enables us to pool money from member transactions using the REI card, and invest millions of dollars in our national forests. We recognize that some of our members may have concerns about this relationships and that, along with our own values, has prompted us to examine our relationship with financial institutions with particular attention on greater alignment on this and other related beliefs. Where banks capable of meeting our business needs do not sufficiently prioritize environmental, social and governance practices, we advocate for improvements and will explore alternatives.

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.

I'd like to reboot this thread. US Bank is a terrible company for many reasons. Not only what was referenced in the article above last year, but in the way they treat their customers. They're also incredibly incompetent. On a regular, weekly basis, attempting to log into an account through their website is not possible due to "maintenance". No other credit card or bank website is under maintenance or as poorly designed as their's is. They simply do not care about their customers, at all. Please, please figure out a way to dump them and choose a bank, or better yet a credit union, that actually cares a little bit. Thanks for listening!

0 Likes