cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Why doesn't REI carry Tree climbing gear?

REI is known for their outdoor activities but you don’t sell tree climbing equipment and got to go to a Home Depot or Lowe’s 

0 Likes
6 Replies

Well actually they do.  Ascending/rappelling equipment usually deployed on vertical cliffsor within caves can also be used on trees, but the commercial gear in the stores you mention is more suitable for that purpose.

I occasionally rig my stuff over a tree limb to check function and make adjustments, but not for recreation.

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.
0 Likes

Hi @23485743  - Thanks for reaching out! While @hikermor is right that some of the equipment in our climbing department can work on trees and rocks, REI does not carry products specifically for tree climbing. We're always happy to hear about the gear our members need for their outdoor activities. Do you usually climb trees for recreation or for work? We’d love to hear more.

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes

The book, On Rope, published by the National Speleological Society, 2nd edition, discusses rope equipment and techniques primarily for caving, but has a section devoted to other rope users, like arborists, river runners, fire fighting, and window cleaning.  I believe there is a later edition, which probably has even more information.  Highly recommended.

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.
0 Likes

I used to do electrical work for years and fell in to landscaping about a year ago

Just saying, I don’t shop lowes for climbing gear or REI for my yard needs...am I missing something?

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes
0 Likes

If you cut trees out or you want a nice place for some peace of mind 

0 Likes